+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flies of the Keys

Hybrid View

Default Flies of the Keys

Looking for some suggestions for flies to tie up for my trip to the Keys. I leave Sunday so I won't have time for too much, school and finals week has really cut into my prep time more than I expected. I'm not sure what kind of fishing my dad has planned, and I'm sure the guides can provide flies, just wanted to have some for the times we aren't out with a guide. Any must have flies that I can tie that don't require any specialty materials?

I'm sure I'll be buying some flies there, just figured I'd get some together here first. Species wise, I'm open to flies for anything that can be caught down there, I'm not picky when it comes to what I catch. I'm guessing a good shrimp pattern and a good crab pattern would be good, I've got clousers and deceivers already for baitfish, but I'm still searching for an easy crab and an easy shrimp. I plan on tying up some Electric Dreds when I can get the materials for them, but I'm not sure I'll be able to find them between now and Sunday so not for this trip most likely.

I have heard Merkins, Kwans, and Gotchas for bones and permit, a bit larger than some might tie - 1's and 2's on the Merkins/Kwans, 2's and 4's for the Gotchas.

I'd go with some gotcha's and maybe a few crazy charlies. They are both easy to tie and very effective.
    TT

Cool flies

Tightlines

Joe

Be sure to stop by The Angling Company on Simonton St. They are a wealth of information. I hope you enjoy your time in the Keys.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Thanks Dave, I definitely plan on stopping in there first chance I get, and I'm already expecting to spend too much money before I leave but it's spring break so I've already told myself it's ok. Did you find any fish on your own? My dad has been talking about renting a canoe or kayak, but I'm not sure where or what, my last final was this afternoon so I've been focused on other things. No matter what it will be great to get away from Ohio and school for a while, especially with my dad. I can't wait for Sunday.

+ Reply to Thread