+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pine Squirrel vs Red Squirrel.

Hybrid View

Question Pine Squirrel vs Red Squirrel.

Hi, this is my first post (new member). Can anyone please tell me if Pine Squirrel and Red Squirrel are one and the same? I am trying to locate a source for pine squirrel (fur or dubbing), since some patterns I want to try call specifically for pine squirrel.
    Thanks, in advance, for your help.

According to Wikipedia, the American Red Squirrel is a species of Pine Squirrel, so it appears they are the same (unless you are talking about the European Squirrel): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_squirrel.

Welcome.

Blog Entries

First of all welcome to FAOL,. new guys chop the wood, make the coffee and bring donuts. second is a source for what you seek

http://www.hideandfur.com/

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    First of all welcome to FAOL,. new guys chop the wood, make the coffee and bring donuts. second is a source for what you seek

http://www.hideandfur.com/

Eric

JimBob, if you care to abstain from chopping wood, making coffee, and bringing doughnuts, that ok.
    Welcome aboard.

Ed

The red squirrels I am familiar with here in the east are small, slightly bigger than a chipmunk. The Pine squirrels skin that I got from Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone is larger than a gray squirrel.

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Welcome Aboard JimBob

I really don't the answer( I always thought they were the same) I live in Maine, and recently received (red or pine) squirrel tails from a member on this site( HideHunter) and they are five times larger than any (red or pine) that I have ever gotten in Maine.
    I'm sure someone will chime in on this topic, and clear it up for both of us lol lol

locally we call a pine squirrel a red squirrel and the bigger red colored squirrel that prefers hardwoods a fox squirrel. I think some people call this fox squirrel a red squirrel. The pine squirrel is closer in appearence to a chipmunk than a fox or grey squirrel.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Default Greetings, JimBob .....

..... and welcome from Western Montana.

If you do go for pine squirrel, you might want to get a whole zonked skin from Wapsi or some other source. The zonkers are great for tying smaller, simple streamers, and there is usually plenty of unzonked skin to use for dubbing.

Some streamers using pine squirrel zonkers to consider are John Barr's Slumpbuster, NightAngler's Hibernator, or my PSC ( which is NightAngler's streamer without the flash ).

Hope you enjoy your time on the Bulletin Board.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

In properly improper terms, red squirrel and pine are the same. There is one other, the Douglas squirrel, on the west coast from BC to at least central CA, maybe farther, that is also a pine squirrel. They are the only two in the Genus IIRC and hard to tell apart. When I was in college many moons ago they had a few more species broken out, but they have been reassembled into two.

Blog Entries

I have made several of the Slumpbusters. I do not know what a NightAngler's Hibernator is, and I looked it up. Do you have a pic with a recipe? I have both pine squirrel and red squirrel. The pine squirrel I have does not have as long of hair as the red squirrel does. I also have black, but it is dyed, so I do not know which squirrel variety it came from. Squirrel makes good flies in my opinion.
    Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post

Some streamers using pine squirrel zonkers to consider are John Barr's Slumpbuster, NightAngler's Hibernator, or my PSC ( which is NightAngler's streamer without the flash ).

John

+ Reply to Thread