+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, i need help with a soft hackle

Default OK, i need help with a soft hackle

Easy fly right, how come i am stumbling thumbs with a size 20 &22 ! What is the easiest method of attaching the hackle. I have tried the Charlie v notch but with the v removed there is so little left. I know this has to be easier than i am making it. ....I hope!!!!

Blog Entries

i tried a size 22 and failed, was told perhaps it was my feathers. I was attempting with quail as that was the only feather I had that was small enough. I kept breaking off the feather. I gave up after a few attempts.............just didn't want you to feel alone.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Adams View Post

the original post says he tried that method and it didnt work for him

Have you tried by tying in the stem and wrapping the hackle?
    Works well.
    Last edited by DarrinG; 03-13-2010 at 09:55 PM.
    Mark 1:17

Here is a couple of video's I took at a tying day event for CFF of AppalachianAngler tying a soft hackle, using the "stem-tie-in" method.
    Maybe this will help.

Part 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xKrxoDsnwM

Part 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHkJxxB8l3I
    Last edited by DarrinG; 03-13-2010 at 09:56 PM.
    Mark 1:17

You could also try stripping some fibers off the stem of whatever soft hackle you are using and tying some of them on the top and the bottom of the hook shank facing over the eye, it will take a little experimenting to get the right length, then fold those fibers back over the hook shank towards the bend and take a couple of thread wraps to hold them in that location, you can then mess around with the fibers so the encircle the hook shank. With this method you can use almost any type of soft hackle feathers you like. The hardest part is figuring out how long you want the fibers to hang over the hook eye so when you fold them back they are the length you want. Hope this helps.

Rodney

You might give this a shot. This method is the same as stuffing the first bunch of deer hair which will become the collar on a Muddler Minnow over the hook eye, rather than 'spinning' from a bunch laid along the shank as the balance of the head would be spun.
    1, even the tips on one side of the feathers
    2, strip the evened barbs
    3, roll the bunch much like mixing a tail of two different colors
    4, place the bunch so that the proper length is achieved by sliding the center (approx) of the bunch over the hook eye.
    the barbs should now be distributed around the shank with the ends at the proper length.
    5, Take two turns of thread to hold them and check the distribution. Adjust as necessary so barbs are equally distributed.
    6, Take two additional tight turns to lock in place
    7, cut off waste, try to get a little taper or stagger so you don't end up with an abrupt step
    8, finish head, whip finish, cut thread.
    9, Go catch a fish.
    I know pictures would be better, but I have none currently. Perhaps when I get some time, I do an illustrated article on what I have attempted to explain here.
    Tight lines,
    George

Appanglers method is the same method I use. Tie in from the base, forward on the hook. Then bend back and wrap.

On that size hook, I would use a starling feather. They are a little fragile, but at that size, no more than any other type of bird. I use them on almost all my BWO softies. You can tie them in by the tip or the butt. Either way is tough at size 22!
    Rex

+ Reply to Thread