View Poll Results: How often / where should podcast mp3 files be available for download?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't need to download mp3 versions, thanks anyway

8 29.63%
  • 2 weeks or longer is fine with me

6 22.22%
  • A week delay max is as long as I'm willing to wait

0 0%
  • I want to download them from FAOL right away.

5 18.52%
  • I want to download them from Facebook or iTunes right away

8 29.63%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Podcast downloads

Blog Entries

Default Podcast downloads

side note:

So far I have implemented the "podcasts" as a flash audio player.
    True podcasts let you download an mp3 to load on your portable audio device. Zoon or ipod or sansa or whatever.
    I will post the podcasts either on itunes or facebook for download a week or two after being published here.

That's an advertising ploy on my part. I want folks to come to FAOL.
    The timing however is at question.. See the poll.

Hey Ron,
    I'm sure there are many of us who haven't a clue as to what you're talking about. Could you give those/us/me a simple version ( no words larger than 5 letters) of what's up ?. On the other hand, If it's is only I who is so challenged, never mind, I'll eventually catch on.

Mark
    PS: I own and use AutoCAD daily but apparently dat don't mean nuthin.
    Last edited by Marco; 03-13-2010 at 05:05 PM.

They need to be be downloadable via iTunes or some other RSS reader. I don't think you have to list the podcasts in the iTunes store in order to create a feed. iTunes will read feeds from other locations.

I drive a lot and have a couple iPods. I listen to podcasts in the car while on business trips. I don't listen audio shows while sitting at the computer. So the one show that's up, I have not heard and will likely not hear it. If I can easily get it onto my iPod, I won't listen to it. The easier you make it for people to get, the more will listen to it.

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Blog Entries

Your poll does not have my option. If the board is capable of the feed, then to have them in an iPod compatible format when released would be fine. If You were really efficient about things, you would use a flash player here that would play the same format as you were releasing for the iTunes feed. iTunes will check the feed and download without you having to list each podcast on iTunes. You might want to list the series as available on iTunes, however.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Default Also, include visual aids where applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hey Ron,
    I'm sure there are many of us who haven't a clue as to what you're talking about. Could you give those/us/me a simple version ( no words larger than 5 letters) of what's up ?. On the other hand, If it's is only I who is so challenged, never mind, I'll eventually catch on.
    Ditto, Dave

Thank you sir.

My preference is to download them either as an mp3 or from iTunes. Actually, I would prefer that both of those options be available. If the only option was to listen on the website I would rarely get the opportunity to do so. I listen to podcasts, from both an iPod and a thumb drive, almost exclusively when I am driving around town. If a the podcasts were available in those two formats, I would likely not miss an episode.
    Tim

I don't care where I download it from really but I do use iTunes for all my current feeds to other flyfishing podcast sites. It's certainly easy.
    As for when you should load them up for download...the sites that have "live" feeds like AskAboutFlyfishing...usually upload the download about a week or two after the live broadcast. I can't listen to it live because I'm at the local fly fishing club on the nights they do their live broadcast, so I download it to iTunes, them my iPod for stuff to listen to on my treadmill or in the car. On day I'll have a video iPod, and I'll probably watch them while I wait for appointments of on the treadmill.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Ron, Thanks for your effort in setting things back to the norn. It is always good to comment where you can and give a helping hand or idea where it will do good.

Crunchy

Blog Entries

Question huh?

i'm with Marco and Dave E. it all sounds very exciting, but what is it? or is that not the question to ask?

does the POD part of the PODCAST mean like an i-pod? if so, please make it really simple like i-tunes does. i can sort of do that if i'm really patient. thanks

second question: when i click on the podcast place on the home page, all i get is a lot of loud twangley music. there seem to be voices after a while, but they're drowned out by the music. i'm obviously missing something here. typical...
    Last edited by CaseyP; 03-16-2010 at 11:41 PM.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Normand Guest

i agree with casey on the twangy music. its way too loud over the spoken voice. background music is just that, in the background.it shouldnt be the focus of the podcast.

+ Reply to Thread