+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wil Spey rods work for fishing the Pacific?

Hybrid View

Default Wil Spey rods work for fishing the Pacific?

I purchased a 10/11 wt spey rod 15' long. Then the sale price was dropped another $30 so I purchased the 8/9 wt spey rod 13'. Now I have heard that an 8wt spey rod is equivalent to a 10wt single hand rod.

Thus none of my spey's are apparently any good for inland trout fishing because I have no big rivers. I really liked the one time a fellow met me at a lake, loaned me his skagit head line and casting with the 15' rod. But apparently one needs a spey rod rated 4 or 5 wt for inland trout. Again, I really liked casting the 15'.

Anyway....would these spey rods I have be ok to fish the ocean. I know it is not a river...but I really like the spey style of casting. It is so much easier to control the line and less harsh on your body.

Any help would be definitely greatly appreciated. It is a shame most of us buy things for what we want to do....before we get the experience to learn what we really need.

Jim

I have never used a two handed rod so I have no personal experience. However I do know that there are some anglers who have been using two handed rod for fishing the surfzone where really long casts may be desired. Most Pacific surfzone fishing is done within 60ft or so of the beach but there are some areas where a longer cast may be necessary.

People I know who have tried them on the open ocean have found the longer rod more tiring to handle in an ocean swell.

I have been considering getting a two handed rod to try when fishing our local bays from shore since the extra distance possible might allow me to reach deeper water.

I know of a small number of anglers who have been using two handed rods on inland waters for making long presentations with topwater flies for stripers and largemouth bass, thus developing an inland still water application.

Hmmmmm, good question. My guess is that it would be a nightmare in the surf. I could be wrong, but just based on what I've seen, line control might be tough, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try. Of course, if the surf is flat, then you're in business.

On the other hand, if you're fishing bays and mangroves, where the water isn't crashing around you, I think it would be a great tool to have at your disposal. Heck, give it a try and report back to us!!!

TT

thanks for the replies guys. The info stated is enlightening. Good stuff. I understand what has been said. surprise surprise!

tailingloop
    Now is the time to pick up a two hander from Albrightif you want to give it a go....and not break the bank. Take a look at my post in "things for sale" I think I put the link there.

You can get your choice of an 8/9 13' or a 9/10 14', or even a 10/11 15' for $80 + shipping. I don't think you will find a spey rod, used or otherwise for that. And these are brand new and come with a very good cordova...or canvas typed of covered tube as well.

Just fyi
    Jim

Jim, the original spey rods were used on big rivers in Scotland with the idea of being able to cover more water with less effort. The casting methods they use are not the same ones used here, I've had a couple of lessons, and was told that "you Americans are just doing a roll cast with it, that's not the point" I believe the ability to mend ones line is also important especially where the rod is used to fish for Atlantic Salmon. That said, you bought the rods, you own them and I'd challenge anyone to tell you that you can't use it anyway you wish.
    So there.
    Hugs,
    LF

Spey casting looks very interesting for a number of reasons...for a guy like me the usually fishes ponds & lakes from shore, my understanding is that spey-casting allows you to keep your line in front of you during the casts, thus decreasing your chances of tangling in overhead trees, or brush behind you. Roll casting probably does the same thing, but it sounds like you can get more distance with a spey-style cast? I have to admit my roll-cast isn't very good at all...

The other interesting aspect is the additional distance you can theoretically get with a spey-cast. I think this would be useful for me when fishing the local reservoir, and the white bass start busting shad just beyond the reach of my usual fly-cast.

That being said...I've still been somewhat leery to purchase more gear.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Here on the coast of CT I and others use spey rods in the salty water. We are generally fishing estuary flows on the ebb tides rather than surf. It is like fishing a flowing river. The game fish are sitting out there at the esturary mouth waiting for the ebb tide to bring them dinner.

We are also starting to use somewhat shorter Switch Rods.

I use a light 7 Wt Spey and a 5 Wt Switch for trout on bigger rivers at times---especially throwing hoppers.

I started with the Speys years ago pursuing Steelhead and Atlantics in rivers.
    Max

Hey Gemrod, I have used my Spey rod in the surf and it is great. I use a shooting head and cast Skandi style or even two handed overhead style. Give it a go I am sure you will like it.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Jim, Looks like we are on the same page. As you know I also have the Albright Spey outfit. 14' 9/10. I have used mine on the Grande Ronde for steelhead and also on the Rogue for steelhead. Both I think have been overkill for my outfit but it was more for practice and to get out on the water than anything. Found out I need to watch the videos more, practice more and get a lesson. I will be taking my outfit to the WA and ID Fish-ins with a lawn leader and get in some practice and maybe some tips from those in the know. VEE, REE? The ID Fish-in I may even get that lesson at the Red Shed while there. Who knows.

As far as fishing the beaches I personally think the Spey would be perfect. The Spey rod can also be backcast and I think that would work just fine for a Spey when you can't get a good anchor point for the spey cast. I was thinking, if you want to do some research and maybe even get some help from our friends here, we could plan a meeting somewhere midway and hit the beaches. I have a place to stay in Gold Beach and the possibly a place for a friend if I ask really nice. If you're interested, or anyone for that matter, let me know and let's start doing some research and planning.

How about this? A Left Coast Beach Fish-In someday. Maybe that should be in its own thread.

Jerry

Mike,
    Thanks for chiming in and the info. What is Scandi style? I know Skagit is supposed to be the easiest one to learn...and is a head like a 25' to 30' head. Then spey is the whole 120' line with a long belly. I have been told Scandi is just the same as Skagit but more finesse. You just used it not as a line designation but as a "style" of fishing. What is Scandi style fishing"

Forethbirds......I like that idea of doing some learning together. I just received my running line, float tip line, leader.....and three different Skagit head to try. I am supposed to pick my favorite and send the other two back....and pay for what I keep. Or send it all back and just pay the $3 plus change to send it back. From the redshed...."Poppy". I like the idea of getting to pick the line I like and send others back.

I will definitely take you up on the learning together over there. I hope I even get "first" right of refusal on that outing.....in other words yes, and hope to be the first in line with you.....but sometimes things come up and I can't make it. How about we boaf plan to attend the Spey O' Rama in San Francisco next April"

Jim

+ Reply to Thread