Thread: Pacific Ocean in a Kayak? Wow....How about my 8' boat?

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I fished the North Pacific in and around the Queen Charlotte Islands. (60 miles from Alaska ) for many years in a kayak. You have to be very careful, check the weather all the time and pick sheltered bays and coves to fish in. My Kayak was a 18 foot folboat and very seaworthy. I have caught everything from salmon to a 6 foot shark and 250 lb halibut out of that folboat. The most danger comes when an offshore wind decides to push you offshore. It will exhaust you trying to fight the tide and the wind sometimes. Which is why I would not reccomend a small boat. At least with a Kayak you can paddle ashore. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and tell yourself that the conditions are just not right and you will have to stay home that day.

It is the shoreline that is hard to land on without a wave rolling you up and spitting you out. I usually tried to depart from and land back at a pier or dock where the waves didn't affect the landing.

Pick your spots and your calm weather days carefully and Kayak fishing is a blast. It is a real hoot having a 50lb plus fish towing you around the ocean. On occasion when a seal would bump the Kayak you got to find out just how fast your heart could race. There was a quite famous harbour seal named Charlie near Kyuquot BC that would bump your boat to beg for a fish.

Another fun thing is to have an Orca cruise over to within 10 feet of you just for a look. Oh Sure you know that there has never been an incident of an Orca attacking a man but that is not an easy thing to contemplate when One of them actually takes an interest in you.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 03-13-2010 at 05:33 PM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!