+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The recent hunt for Royal Wulff!

Hybrid View

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Question The recent hunt for Royal Wulff!

The recent hunt for Royal Wulff got me thinking about many FAOLers who have disappeared from our ranks. Some, like JC himself, have passed on to that trout stream in the sky. Others like Jim Hatch have switched interests and hobbies. Some, I'm sure have just gotten older and less active. As I look back over my older posts, I find many familiar names of formerly frequent responders who don't show up any more at all. My question is very simple and straight forward. Do we have any original charter members who are still reasonably active posters and who are they? Lets celebrate our original and long-time members. 8T

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

The trick to aging is making new friends faster than you loose your old ones.
    There are hundreds of new friends here………

Best regards, Dave

Blog Entries

Charter members are listed in the Friends of Faol List.

LadyFisher would be the #1 Charter member. Then James Castwell of course.
    These folks are listed as Charter members in Friends of FAOL
    Steven McGarthwaite - "Parnelli" - White Bear Lake, Minnesota (Charter Member)
    Jeff Fields - "GrizzlyHackle" Georgia (Charter Member)
    Ken Zorn - "Sagebrush" Alberta CA (Charter Member)
    John E. Singley - "Desert Rat" AZ (Charter Member)
    Joe Allison - Newark DE - "Troutman" (Charter Member)

Maybe Deanna could chime in here with a more complete list.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 03-13-2010 at 05:51 PM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Hey ET,
    Interesting post. I've had the pleasure of meeting three of the "charters". LF, JC and Jeff Fields. JC & LF at several fish-ins and Jeff Fields at an informal FI at State College PA ( of that one, only myself and George Emanuel still post here) I too would like to know "where have they gone?" Oh yes, I also met Royal Wulff at the Delaware River Club in Pennsylvania a few years ago along with Denny , Ron Kusse, lestrout, Sliicfoot and other luminaries of FAOL

Mark
    Last edited by Marco; 03-14-2010 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    There are hundreds of new friends here………

Best regards, Dave
    Hi Dave,

Your suggestion is greatly appreciated. I'm definitely trying to follow that advice. FAOL is certainly an ideal place to make new friends. 8T

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    There are hundreds of new friends here???

Best regards, Dave
    Hi Dave,

Your suggestion is greatly appreciated. I'm definitely trying to follow that advice. FAOL is certainly an ideal place to make new friends. 8T

Hi Gnu Bee,

I wasn't aware that charter members were listed anywhere on the FOAL web site. Of the five or six members that you mentioned, LF and Parnelli are the only regular posters that I recognize. Does that make Deanna and Parnelli the longest registered regular posters? Anyone else to add to the list?

Hi Marco,

I've never met an FAOL charter member so you are three up on me there. I have talked to Deanna on the phone if that counts. Take care, 8T

If you check the Friends of FAOL lists, the top one is "Special" friends and under that the main list. The newest Friends are at the top, so start at the bottom of the list for the oldest ones. There are people who post here who are not on the Friends list, and people who read FAOL on a regular basis who are not registered to post (and never will be - they just don't 'join' for whatever personal reason). I read somewhere that other than people who are seriously involved in a sport the average length of time people stay with a sport or hobby is three years. That includes fly fishing.

I was very surprised that I was as low down on that list as I am. I found this site when I took up fly fishing as a hobby. FAOL was already a very popular and very populated site where all of my newbie questions got multiple responses. Going through the list also brought back memories of some wonderful people who are no longer living. The advice about making new friends is well taken.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    I read somewhere that other than people who are seriously involved in a sport the average length of time people stay with a sport or hobby is three years. That includes fly fishing.
    Hi Deanna,

You mean there are people out there who don't look at fly fishing as a way of life! Say it isn't so. 8T

+ Reply to Thread