I'm not sure what kind of crack monkeys are running the show for this organization but I'm personally cancelling my FIOS (fiber optic) Internet with them to switch to Comcast next week. Turns out this saves me a bunch of money anyway.

They think blocking port 25 (that's the incoming port ALL mail servers use) is a good idea.
They even put up a page describing why, that just makes me scratch my head and wonder why they don't have pee tests for senior management. http://www22.verizon.com/residential...one/124274.htm

First off this only works if EVERY ISP blocks customer's workstations from using port 25. Even Verizon doesn't do that if you buy a fixed address from them.
Second, the infected machines will soon adapt to just use the default mail server already set up on the machine they are on, or use the alternate ports they know about.
Third, it opens up Verizon for lawsuits, as they now are responsible for content (email type) coming from their network.
Fourth, I'm sure that it violates the new net neutrality act.

What it does do is make all their customers change EVERY SINGLE personality or email box they have to the alternate ports that they have to use to get around ISP's (like Verizon) that do stupid stuff like this. For myself, where I have many hats, and several email addresses, that means changing more than one or two configurations, and having to set up new firewall rules to redirect traffic on alternate ports to the standard email port. This is really really a big waste of time.

It also makes it hard for me to do my job as an IT professional because now I can't directly test a mail server's incoming port 25 from home.

My daughter could make much better decisions than this. Well.. OK ... She DOES have a degree in IT management, but she doesn't use it and as much as I love her, she isn't touching any of *MY* networks.

I am at wits end with Verizon. I have filed a complaint with the state attorney generals office for violation of the net neutrality act, and will cancel my service with them. But I really think a class action lawsuit is in order.. Can you sue for extreme stupidity?

OK.. I feel better now. But if YOUR ISP blocks ANYTHING for you without good reason, I encourage you to examine your options. I do enough stupid things on my own, I just don't have the patience for highly paid people to make whopping stupid decisions that affect my life too... GRRRRRRRR....

Well, this *IS* soundoff isn't it?

Please note that the above rant is my (Ron's) personal feeling and is not necessarily the opinion of FAOL, other admins, flunkies of Verizon, or the guys in the tin foil hats. It most likely is the opinion of most sane IT folks though, I encourage you to ask your local trusted geek.

--Ron--