+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sharpening scissors with....

Hybrid View

Normand Guest

Default sharpening scissors with....

....aluminum foil. has anyone tried this?

www.metacafe.com/watch/932701/sharpen_scissors_with_aluminum_foil

doesn't get em very sharp. sort of removes the rough edges. i'd liked to have seen the scissors cut paper before sharpenening.
    Last edited by Wes; 03-12-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: add to
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    doesn't get em very sharp. sort of removes the rough edges. i'd liked to have seen the scissors cut paper before sharpenening.
    well that is because you did not take it one or two strokes beyond. try it again, it works'

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    thats how i saw it.

if you look at a scissor blade, its not even the side of the blade that has the edge to be sharpened. so i think its only removing burrs or rough edges.

Removing burrs form the back side of a razor edge will sharpen an edge. But only if applied lightly. It's the same affect as stropping with leather.

By the way, just where would one send a pair of fly tying scissors to get sharpened? I have 4 pair at the moment all in good shape, but the pair I use the most is getting to the state of resharpening and I uncertain which is the best route. For me in my rural location, it might be cheaper just to purchase a new pair rather than pay the cost of postage.
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

Normand, sorry to say, in my opinion there is no "quick" sharpening method that will work.

Again, in my opinion sharpening a blade by cutting a metal really doesn't smooth the rough edges at all...it actually creates a "microscopic" serated edge that will cut a little smoother for the moment but those "micro serations" will bend and break down quickly.

To the person asking about scissor sharpening...ask your closest barber/hairstylist...often times services will come to their location and tune things up, perhaps they will let you know when.

Once again, all opinion..but from a guy that has spent many, many years with culinary knives in my hands...keepin' them sharp has NO short cuts. Plenty of gimmicks but no short cuts.

David, bring them to your barber, he will have a service that comes around every 2 or 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    Sharpening scissors with....aluminum foil. has anyone tried this...
    I haven't tried it, yet. But I did see an excellent fly tier demonstrate this method of sharpening scissors a few years ago down in Idaho Falls. If I ever use my scissors enough that they need sharpening, I'm going to give it a try.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread