+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beginners Only February Dry Fly Swap

Hybrid View

Default Beginners Only February Dry Fly Swap (UPDATE: NEW ADDITION)

This is the third swap of five, the first was a soft-hackle wet fly, second was a nymph pattern. February the members had to face the dreaded Dry Fly. So much to do, so much that can go wrong, but most where up to the task, out of ten members, 8 sent in their efforts. One is point unknown, and the other has pulled his attempt at dry fly, waiting on a order of better hackle for the pattern. So some may arrived with the March Swap of Beginners Only, when they will be doing "Streamers"! ~Parnelli

I have to apologize for some of the photos, I took photos before sorting the fly patterns, sending out the best of the bunch to the tiers. When I returned from the Post Office, after mailing the shipments, I found that my photos where ruined, and I had to re-shoot using the spare flies.

1. Light Cahill
    Dressed by DruLeeParsec
    Hook: Dry, size 14 - 16.
    Thread: Tan, 6/0.
    Wings: Wood duck fibers, upright and divided.
    Tail: Ginger.
    Body: Cream fur or synthetic dubbing.
    Hackle: Ginger.
    from Dave Hughes' book "Essential Trout Flies".

2. Parachute Hendrickson
    Dressed by Cold
    Hook: Mustad 94833 (Signature R30)
    Thread: Uni 8/0, Gray
    Tail: CDL, Spade hackle, or similar (Whiting tailing CDL, Med. Pardo used)
    Body: Superfine, Hendrickson Pink
    Hackle: Dun

[
    3. Generic Dry Fly
    Dressed by Ohio fisherman
    Hook: Dry, size #12
    Tail: Mallard Flank
    Body: Olive rabbit dubbing
    Hackle: Barred saddle hackle

4. Adams (Variant)
    Dressed by Brian Kee
    Thread: Black 8/0
    Tail: Brown and grizzly hackle fibers
    Body: Muskrat or medium gray dubbing
    Wing: Grizzly hackle tips-upright and divided
    Hackle: Brown & grizzly, mixed

5. Wulff Irresistible
    Dressed by Rodger
    Hook: Mustad 3261 size 10
    Thread: Black 6/0 or 8/0
    Tail: Dark Deer
    Body: Lighter Deer, Spun or Stacked
    Wing: White Calf Body Hair
    Hackle: One Brown, One Grizzly

5. Brown Bivisible
    Dressed by Dave P63
    Hook: Standar size 12
    Thread: Rusty Brown, Ultra 140
    Tail: Brown Hackle
    Body: Brown Hackle/ White Hackle

7. Royal Coachman
    Dress by kbproctor
    Thread: White for bulk of the fly. Switch to black for Hackle and Head. 70 denier or smaller.
    Tail: Golden Pheasant Tippets
    Wing: Grey Mallard Wing slips tied upright curves out.
    Body: 3 turns Peacock Herl, Red Floss, 3 turns Peacock Herl
    Hackle: Furnace /Coachman Brown is traditional, but the furnace looks nice and the fish don't care.

8. Tan Elk Hair Caddis
    Dressed by KSBASS
    Hook: Dai-Riki #300 size 12
    Thread: Danville Flymaster 6/0 waxed - Tan
    Ribbing: #12 Ginger/tan saddle hackle - palmered
    Abdomen: Fine dubbing - golden stone
    Wing: Tan elk hair with black tips

10. Red Quill
    Dressed by Quivira kid
    Hook: standard dry fly size 12 or 14, Mustad 94840 or equivalent
    Thread: dark red
    Tail: dun hackle fibers
    Body: quill body in "red quill" color, or stripped hackle stem dyed red
    Wing: wood duck flank fibers, upright and divided
    Hackle: medium dun

Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 04-29-2010 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Update New Pattern

OK, here's the monthly "What I Learned" post.

I have never been so frustrated at the fly bench. The first 3 flies took half an hour to tie (or was it an hour? I can't remember). The wings. Oh My Gosh, the wings.

Trying to get 2 distinct wings was really hard. I ended up just tying on a single clump of wood duck and calling it a wing and blessing it with the fly tier's mantra "the fish can't count how many wings it has".

I purchased a Whiting farm 100 fly pack of #14 ginger hackle but the tip of the hackle always looked too small for the hook, the middle and end of the hackle feather looked better. Also, the hackle always felt either too sparse or too tangled up and clumpy. The middle ground never seemed to happen.

This was a rough one. I want to try tying another dozen for myself but when I finished tying these I was in no mood to spend more time tying.

So on one hand these were the flies that I was the least happy with. On the other hand, these flies really pushed my tying skill level. I'm not sure I was up to the challenge. But now that some time has passed I look at my vice and think "Give it another shot. Go tie another dozen or 2 of those guys." I do know that if I push myself to learn how to tie these dry flies I'll be a much better tier.

Cold Guest

For my part, these flies are actually the second fly I decided to tie up, after tying 4-5 adams and deciding I'd had enough of the upright, divided wings. I started tying these parachutes last summer for a small creek in my area and while they're not pretty or delicate, they *do* work. The hackle is especially heavy for a parachute, but I found the more heavily hackled flies in my box performed better than their sparser cousins, so that's how I tied em for the swap. In contrast to the soft hackles, nymphs, and this month's streamers, once I decided on this pattern, I was just in a dry fly tying mood and sat down and banged out the entire batch in one sitting.

All in all, I'm about as pleased with these flies as I have been with the others I've tied for this swap...hopefully, March will be my breakout month.

While all the flies look great, quivira's red quill is really something. I hope when I get around to tying a dozen for my box that they look half as good.

Blog Entries

I am glad to hear I wasn't the only one that was not happy with his flies. I wound up tying 2 dozen and picking the best out to send. The wings kicked my butt and the hackle gave me more fits than normal. However, toss one of these at a bunch of brookies while a hatch is coming off and you will catch fish.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Default Famous Confucius Saying....

"Do not worry about slowly moving ahead in your endeavors, worry instead about not moving!" ~Confucius

All the tier's that sent in their contributions to the swap, met the challenge, and succeeded. They dressed some "Dry Flies", they have learned somethings during this month's fly swap, that they never knew before. With time and patience, they will continue to succeed and improve their skills

"When the student is ready to learn, the Teacher will appear!" ~Confucius

I am very satisfied with the efforts that the members of this swap, have put into their creations.... It is only by learning from failures, can we begin to learn how to succeed! ~Swapmeister Parnelli

THANK YOU, Cold! These were my first attempts at a "bona fide" dry fly. First time tying upright and divided wings, using quill body, and good dry fly hackle. It took me a few flies to get proportions and how to handle the materials down. My first flies look AWFUL! But that's the fun part: seeing improvement!

I think the lesson I keep re-learning is that if you take your time and pay attention to details, you can tie well beyond what you think you can do.

Now from "small and delicate" to STREAMERS we go!

+ Reply to Thread