+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jetty fishing

Hybrid View

Default Jetty fishing

The tides and weather look pretty nice tomorrow, so I'm thinking I'll wet a line in the Gulf on my lunch break. On weekends it gets too crowded for fly fishing, but hopfully tomorrow won't be too bad.

My question is, do you guys use wire leaders or shock tippets for jetty fishing? Spanish mackerel and ribbon fish have some pretty sharp teeth. Also, for some of you who've done more jetty fishing, do you think I should bring a sinking line as well? I usually just stick with the floating line. But then I haven't caught snapper or flounder on a fly off of the jetties either.

Thanks.

I would say start out with a heavier bite tippet, and if you get bit off once or twice then add some wire to be safe. I've lost a few flies to mackerel fishing around them. As for the sinking line, it would depend on how deep the water gets. I've done all my saltwater fishing in general with a floating line and managed to catch a few snapper. I'd be concerned about the sinking line getting wrapped up underwater on something with all the water moving in and out constantly. I don't have a whole lot of experience on jetties though, just a week or so the last couple years when I make it to Florida and there its just 2 short rock jetties that don't go out more than 50 yards or from shore.

Our jetties are roughly 5000 feet long (about 3000 of which is past the beach.) The channel is dredged to 45 feet, and the outer depth is closer to 18' by the end. There is a lot of stuff to get hung up on, though. Maybe I'll head out with the floating line again this time and save the sink tip for a day when I'll have more time to play around.

Most of my SW fishing is from a jetty but I never use wire leaders.Bluefish are the only real problem for bite off's and its not that bad.When they show up I use flies tied on the end of long shank hooks.Works great most of the time.I also rarely use a floating line on the rocks.I much prefer an intermediate and also use a sinking shooting head.You have to get the fly in front of the fish and an int. line does this better for me than a floater.Just make sure you keep it out of the rocks though.This is why I like a SH for a sinker,cheaper to replace if it gets hung up or cut up in the rocks.From the sound of the depths you have where you fish I would definately use a sinking line.If all you use is a floater you are missing out on some good fishing.You will be surprised at what you have been missing.

+ Reply to Thread