+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clousers for saltwater

Hybrid View

Default Clousers for saltwater

Steve P's thread about flies got me to thinking about Clousers. Do you guys tie them on a Mustad 34007 or similar type hook or do you prefer a longer shank hook? Also do you pretty much tie them in a 2, 4 & 6 size?

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I use Mustad 3407s; haven't had a need for longer shank hooks. Size depends, a function of the prevalent bait - for false albacore we tied a lot of our albaclousers on 2s and 4s when they were hitting bait balls, mostly bay anchovies or silversides; when we fished behind trawlers we used 2/0 for Half & Halfs (clouser-deceiver hybrid).

Regards,
    Scott

I use the 3407 plated hooks rather than the stainless (34007) hooks as well
    They stay sharper, longer.
    I can't think of too many flies that I tie on the long shank (34011) other than poppers and squid.
    Here in the northeast I carry big and little Clousers, (1/0 & 4)
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I used the Mustad 3407 in sizes 6 through 4/0 for years. Also the Eagle Claw L067 Billy Pate hook.

Today I primarily use the Eagle Claw 413, which is a 60 degree bend jig hook. The bend puts the eye closer to being inline with the hook, improving leverage and reducing the chance of the hook coming out under pressure, especially if it does not penetrate to the bend. I get these from shops that cater to lure builders like Janns Netcraft or Barlow's but some fly shops carry them. If you look through the Umpqua catalog you will see more and more weighted patterns tied on this hook. I sill use "J" hooks like that 3407 or L067 for clousers that I fit with wire snag guards.

The other hook that I use quite a bit is the Gamakatsu SC15 which is a short shank hook. In 1/0 and smaller sizes the thinner gauge wire combined with a very sharp point make for a gook with very good penetration qualities. The larger sizes are also very good and are formed out of a heavier gauge wire.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Anglerdave,

All my saltwater Clousers are tied on Mustad 34007 hooks. I'm sure there are lots of other good hooks around but I have a large supply of 34007's on hand and have never had to look elsewhere for a saltwater hook. 8T

Most of my saltwater Clousers are tied on the 34007 but I have also used the 3407.

+ Reply to Thread