+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mutated genetic supertrout developed in lab

Default Mutated genetic supertrout developed in lab

Belgian 'blue cow' biotech produces: Das ?berfisch ?
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03...the_ubertrout/
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Blog Entries

Welcome to the strange world of Dr. Frankenfish. Just think, if this guy gets together with the Missouri State fish hatchery thats using steroids on trout we could have 200 pound Rainbows in just a few short years....
    If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they go."

Will Rogers

Cold Guest

Heh...Dr. Terry Bradley...I dated a girl with that name...she was not a mad fish scientist, though...as far as I know.

Clearly there are pro's and con's. Personally, while I'd love to catch a beast like that, I hate for native stocks to get diluted by these. If they want to use these at fish farms, perhaps they should make these fish triploid so they can't spawn, in case of accidental release?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

There are places where using these as 'stockers' would be a real plus.

I understand that if they could reproduce, you'd want to keep them out of contact with native trout. Can't have our native fish getting bigger or stronger. Wouldn't be natural.

But many of our rainbow fisheries are put and take. If these fish would produce more fish per pound of food pellets, then it could be a winfall to heavily strapped state stocking budgets. We as anglers would get more fish while it would cost us less.

And, if they were stronger or hardier or faster or maybe even all of these as well as maybe more argessive, then that would be a solid win over most of the current crops of stocked trout.

Pike predation of stocked trout is a big issue in some lakes. If these fish were more 'survivable' it might leave more fish for anglers to catch.

Of course, they could also be major disaster.

I just prefer to try to look on thebright side.

Bring on the supertrout. I'd sure like to catch a few of them.

Buddy

Cold Guest

We as anglers would get more fish while it would cost us less.
    Strictly speaking...it'd cost the gov't agency less...idunno about AZ, but I doubt anyone in PA would see one red cent from those savings.

Those things are U.G.L.Y.

If they want to use them on fish farms, go right ahead, but I hope they never see a natural environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
    Those things are U.G.L.Y.

If they want to use them on fish farms, go right ahead, but I hope they never see a natural environment.
    Ditto. Why not just do triploids that can't reproduce and ruin an already diluted gene pool?
    My .02
    Gary

Blog Entries

Doubled-muscled cattle have been bred and raised for centuries in France. One of their traits is that they are far less fertile than other breeds of cattle. Their calving percentages may only be half of their "normal" cousins. I don't know how this would play out in fish.

I also wonder if they would be more susceptible to death from lactic acidosis. They might provide a good, hard pull for 5 minutes and then float downstream past the angler, belly-up. Would they still have the fats rich in omega-3 fatty acids that other trout have? Double-muscled cattle tend to have very little fat. That might be a function of the fact that they were generally used to provide "high-torque" tractive effort. In other words, they pulled heavy plows slowly through the fields of France. I wonder how these trout would play on the end of the line.

I am silently hoping that nobody releases double-muscled bluegill or grennel...

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread