+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sili skin

Default Sili skin

Aside from the gummy minnow, which I couldn't catch a cold on, does anybody use sili skin for other applications. I'm thinking along the lines of nymph bodies and wing cases. It seems to me that it would look pretty good in the right colors. I am also thinking it might have some applications for crayfish imitations. I did a quick search and turned up nothing. Any thoughts?

Jeff
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Cold Guest

Latex Caddis?

Yea, Ooey Gooey

Scud back; you could also put it on some 2mm craft foam and come up with some interesting effects. Sorry to hear you haven't had much luck with Gummy Minnows; they've worked well for me when fishing for schoolie stripers in MD and various saltwater panfish in FLA.

Regards,
    Scott

Scud back is great for.. well, scud backs. In addition to the material sold as such in fly shops, sandwich bags, latex gloves from the doctors office, and even dare I say, condoms make great backs and over bodies for many patterns. Look around and you will probably find other "almost free" materials for this and other fly tying needs.
    Same your money for the important things like good cigars and fine single malts.
    Tight lines
    George

Cold Guest

One of the best subs for such things is the little single-finger latex gloves they sell in pharmacies. They're thicker than the full gloves and handily rolled, similar to the aforementioned condoms, so that you can just snip about a 1/8" section from the rolled portion, and youve got a great strip for winding as a body for a latex caddis.

Quote Originally Posted by George Emanuel View Post
    Scud back is great for.. well, scud backs. In addition to the material sold as such in fly shops, sandwich bags, latex gloves from the doctors office, and even dare I say, condoms make great backs and over bodies for many patterns. Look around and you will probably find other "almost free" materials for this and other fly tying needs.
    Same your money for the important things like good cigars and fine single malts.
    Tight lines
    George
    George,

I agree Sili Skin would be overkill for scuds with all the other "almost free" stuff available, but I read Jeff's post to read that he was looking for something to do with the Sili Skin he had.

Regards,
    Scott

Absolutely...I was waiting for the return trip (back on the subject..LOL) I use Loco Foam and it makes killer Gartside Gurglers, and Beetle backs...I agree with attach it to some foam..Extra buoyant. That's if you want to use it up.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    I use Loco Foam and it makes killer Gartside Gurglers, and Beetle backs....
    Why? if the fancy side of loco foam is facing the sky, its only visible to the angler and not the fish.

+ Reply to Thread