+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: helpful nuggets of timeless info

Blog Entries

Talking

1. That hole is alway deeper than you think it is. The water is always colder too.
    2. The current is always swifter than you think it is.
    3. Learn to clean your catch properly and learn too how to keep it cool until you get it home.
    4. The worst thing you can do is keep fish in a plastic bag with water in it.
    5. leave the spawners alone
    6. Take out what you brung in
    7. Yes you do need a walking staff. ( broken arm to prove it )
    8. If you tied 80 flies for a fish in , remember to take them with you to that fish in.
    9. If Jack Hise invites you over to the rec room at Idaho 3 Rivers Campground, suspect a monsoon. Good one Jack, the fudge made up for it though.
    10. Never ever transplant fish from one pond/lake to another. You are not a scientist and you don't know what your are doing. Heck I don't think the scientists know what they are doing either.
    11. Practice practice practice........ casting that is.
    12. Staying out on the lake in a metal boat whilst holding on to a 9 foot graphite rod when thunder can be heard is not really the optimum choice you can make.
    13. Make a list of what to take, always check that list before you go.
    14. Check the regs. Remember they change from time to time.
    15. Keep a copy of the regs in your truck to show surly ignorant louts that you are in fact not making it up and that you are correct that the stream He or she is fishing really is limited to single barbless hooks, catch and release only.
    16. Take a kid fishing
    17. You will respect my Authoritaaaayyyy.
    18. Learn to mend.
    19. 99 % of what a trout eats is around 3/8 of an inch long and brown or green.
    20. Of course you missed the hatch, it happened 20 minutes before you got here do not worry though it will start up again just about the time you are disappearing from sight.
    21. OH jeeze I almost forgot, no sense in fishing in North Dakota, there are no fish in North Dakota. Extremely Nice ladies live there but sadly no fish.
    22. BC has also run out of fish. Try again next year.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 03-12-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Wierd formatting stuff happened so I fixed it. What's it to you?
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Never rest your rod on the roof of your car!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
    Never rest your rod on the roof of your car!!!!!!!!
    Amen. You will drive away like I did. Didn't get far before I heard it hit the pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Bee Flyer View Post
    16. Take a kid fishing
    That one...
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Before you leave for a trip, take the time to make up 'excuses' for all predictable situations which you might encounter. You will win much favor among your companions for your consideration in not having them wait patiently while you try to think of one after the fact.
    Plan ahead,
    George

While on the stream with me if you see what appears to be convulsing and splashing around....don't worry, I call that casting!

Bring a friend with you. Memories are better shared with someone else. If you get hurt out there it will be very nice to have someone that can go get the truck or help. Cell phones are not cutting it where I fish most of the time. Have thought about the spot unit: http://www.tigergps.com/spotsm.html?...FQ0eDQodE0NfTw
    Take a waterproof camera with you.
    Learn to use a file and how to sharpen hooks.

Have enjoyed reading what the others have contributed.

Blog Entries

If you are over 55 and fishing in cold weather: Once you get all your clothes on, before your fingers get cold, while you are still able to sort through all the layers, before you hit the steam and *really* need to... pee. Failure to do so may give new meaning to the phrase, "Wet and Wild".

and below... always one of my favorites.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Re. car keys - get a spare made and clip/pin it in your vest and never take it out (if you have two vests, get two keys).
    Stop upon arrival at waterside for 10 minutes, breath, listen and LOOK.
    If you have caught 4 and your buddy has caught 1, trade places - you will be remembered longer and more fondly.
    Bring a small folding chair to sit on while getting in to gear or snacking by the car.
    CHOOSE flies/boxes for the day and work them (learn to use what you brought), don't burden yourself with everything.
    A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Gravity always works.

If you don't think you can jump that far, you are probably right.

Somewhere between 20 and 60 you lose most of your bounce.

A large piece of plastic to sit on when putting on your waders keeps your backside dry, doesn't weigh much and rinses off with a garden hose.

If a man doesn't fish or play golf, he will probably lie to you about something important.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread