+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rusty hooks !!!

Hybrid View

Default Rusty hooks !!!

With all the different brands of hooks showing up is rust an issue. Also difficult when it looks like several of the brands are being sold under different names.

I very seldom have a hook in my box long enough for it to rust. They are usually claimed by river rock, grass, shrubbery and sometimes a nice fish long before they rust. However, I also use a fly patch on my vest or my hat to dry the flies that are wet prior to placing them back in the box.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I haven't been doing this long enough to really see any rust, but since fly patches are cheap I just stick the fly on it until it's dry before putting it back in the box. It's easy enough that I don't worry about finding rust-free hooks and just get whatever hooks are cheapest and will do the job.

Normand Guest

i put wet flies back in my boxes and havent noticed any rusting of the hooks.

Cold Guest

I have some Zerust tabs that are ready for me to glue into inconspicuous places in a few of my boxes. Picked them up in the fall, just haven't gotten around to it yet. But they'll be there before long.

I tend to put wet hooks back in my boxes. The only issue that I have had is with those water tight boxes when I store a wet hook in them and then don't fish for a while. Usually if I am on the water a couple of days a week even putting soaking hooks back in the box I seem to be just fine. I don't always remember, but I tried to make a few false casts before putting them back in the box, but I have been in places where I didn't want to even take the time to do that since fish were right infront of me and the fly is dripping when it goes in the box.

I'm not saying what I am doing is good and I think that using a patch is probably a good idea, I'm just saying what I actually do. My fishing partner on the other hand has a special box with lots of vent holes to put used flies in until they dry to go back into his regular boxes.

If you are having a lot of hooks rust, but a different brand, but I have not had issues with the major players in the hook business.

+ Reply to Thread