Neil, I really liked this article. It gets to the heart of what fly fishing, at its soul I believe, should be all about. It was meant to be a more sporting way to fish. "Sporting" is the operative word. It wasn't meant to be a better, more effective way to fish, dynamite is better, and fly fishing is certainly not an easier way to fish. I've always likened fly fishing to bow hunting, it gives the quarry a little better shot. Many of us will even go to the extent of restricting our use of certain flies that we deem to be too effective, ants, beetles, San Juan Worms, etc., just to make it more interesting. Now I think a nymph and strike indicator rig for someone new is perfectly sporting, or for someone like me, who has never gotten the hang of the strike indicator and probably never will. And I don't begrudge anyone at all using a strike indicator, it may be that under certain circumstances it's the only way at all to catch fish. This whole thing is for each and every fly fisherman to decide in their own minds. I like to make it interesting, but some just like to catch fish, and each to his own. But I really liked your take, and the subtle way you presented it.
Eric