+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some fishy pics from last outing.

Default Some fishy pics from last outing.

All though the wether here has been very hot lately i decided to venture out last Saterday for a quick trip. I got to the water sligtly after 6 am and only fished till about 10am as I started to get to hot.

Some pics.

This fella decided to make my fingure home for a while.

Some good fish from a very small stream.

The flies that did the damage for the day.

The bad part of the mornings fishing is that i managed to break my favorite rod. Luckily the agent have already managed to replace the broken section.

Looks like a good outing except for the last part.

When are the best months to fish in SA?

In my younger days I spent a month or so travelling (hitchhiking) from Capetown to Jo-burg so no chance to fish.

Stayed with some family friends in Paarl and Capetown then hit the road.

Awesome country would love to go back.

How far out of Capetown do you have to go to find good freshwater fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by gmac209 View Post
    Looks like a good outing except for the last part.

When are the best months to fish in SA?

In my younger days I spent a month or so travelling (hitchhiking) from Capetown to Jo-burg so no chance to fish.

Stayed with some family friends in Paarl and Capetown then hit the road.

Awesome country would love to go back.

How far out of Capetown do you have to go to find good freshwater fishing?
    The best months for trout is normally April/May and September/ November. Our season closes end of May and reopens in August. Still water trout fishing you can do all year. We have a number of trout fishing venues in and around Cape Town as well as numerous Bass and carp venues. Luckily for me there is a private trout and bass dam 5 min from my house. There is also quite a few small wild trout streams within about 30min from Cape Town.

Except for that last one, very nice pictures indeed. Glad to hear the agent was able to have your rod repaired so quickly. I'd like to hear a bit more about those flies you were tossing. Interesting looking flies. Would you mind sharing the recipe for those?

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Thanks Ron

The dry is a standard Stimulator tied on a size 14 hook. The nymph is a #18 biot nymp with a tungsten gold bead and black UV ice dub as a thorax and CDL for a tail. On the pic the biot has already broken off as it landed about 10 fish already. This little fly is one of my most productive nymphs. Below is a better picture of a tan version.

A size 14 Stimi, huh? Nice fly, as is the little nymph. Will be adding a few to the box. Have you tried a bit of head cement under the biot, or a fine wire rib to make it more durable (ten fish is quite durable isn't it).

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

Morne,

Glad you caught some fish, sorry about the rod. Even though you were able to get it replaced, still it is a lousy feeling and sound when a rod breaks. As they say, "Benn there, Done that".

I hope you geta break in the weather as fall approaches for you, some much needed rain and cooler temperatures will be good for the fish and the people of SA.

Have fun down there and keep fishing.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    A size 14 Stimi, huh? Nice fly, as is the little nymph. Will be adding a few to the box. Have you tried a bit of head cement under the biot, or a fine wire rib to make it more durable (ten fish is quite durable isn't it).

I have not tried that yet Ron, but i must say i don't think that the fish really cares about the biot. Even after the biot disintegrated the fish still took it very confidently.

REE
    Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    Morne,

Glad you caught some fish, sorry about the rod. Even though you were able to get it replaced, still it is a lousy feeling and sound when a rod breaks. As they say, "Benn there, Done that".

I hope you geta break in the weather as fall approaches for you, some much needed rain and cooler temperatures will be good for the fish and the people of SA.

Have fun down there and keep fishing.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Thanks Larry.

I must say we realy need the rain. In Cape town its not so bad (except for the heat) but some parts of our garden route is experiencing the worst drought in recorder history with some towns running completely out of water and rivers drying up.

Just yesterday a town about 30min drive from Cape Town had temperatures of 48C (118F) and in Cape Town itself 38C (100F).

It still is another few weeks before our normal seasonal rain will start and temperatures starts dropping.

Currently I am waiting with bated breath to go on leave in about three weeks time and will be heading to cooler climates for two weeks of non stop fishing.

Morne

Morneb,

Loved the close up photo of the trout and the reflection in it's eye. Think I'd have to put that up as wallpaper on my screen and sure would have an enlargement of it mounted suitably and hanging near my tying lair. You should enter it in a photo contest or send it off to a fishing magazine. Bet you'd get some "nibbles" from somebody!

Quote Originally Posted by Grn Mt Man View Post
    Morneb,

Loved the close up photo of the trout and the reflection in it's eye. Think I'd have to put that up as wallpaper on my screen and sure would have an enlargement of it mounted suitably and hanging near my tying lair. You should enter it in a photo contest or send it off to a fishing magazine. Bet you'd get some "nibbles" from somebody!
    Thanks for the kind words.

+ Reply to Thread