Marco,
I understand what you are saying and I have no problem with it. One of the reasons for rolling over PTO is the fact that more than once I have had vacation bumped by my employer. I have even had scheduled holidays cancelled. Given that, we argued long and hard to get 1 year of PTO rolled over.

I certainly understand that different business models work for different organizations. I also strongly support your right to institute one that works for your business. But I can certainly see rolling-over sick days to protect workers from longer periods of disablility, such as recovering from surgery.

In some cases, organizations will pay a set fee for cashed-in sick days. I think that this is a good idea too. In the cases that I am familiar with the rate of conversion is usually less than the cost of a temp replacement. In this situation an incentive is provided to keep the more skilled employee working with an incentive which ends up being cheaper to the employer. For example, if an employee is paid $200 a day and a skilled replacement costs $150/day, then an employee taking a sick day costs $350/day instead of $200. (Obviously I'm not bringing in taxes, etc...) If the employer offers a bonus of $100 for each sick day not used before retirement, then that employer is to the good $50/day in straight costs as well as the added efficiency of having the usual worker doing the usual job. It also is an incentive for employees to remain with their employer.

I think that we both are expressing different ideas but in a friendly manner.

My lunch break is ending. I hope your strike indicator is moving erratically.

Ed