Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
Too many folks want to take the Post Office and look at it as a separate entity.

It really isn't.

It's part of the government, whatever they may claim. WE all subsidize it with our taxes. The 'rates' they charge don't cover their expenses. It's not a 'business', it's a government service that we pay for.

But I'm perfectly okay with that. Lots of parts of our government don't make a profit. Well, actually, no part of our government makes a profit. At least the Post office brings in something....

Think about it. The Federal Government gives money away to hundreds of thousands of people, businesses, and institutions without any expectation of recompense. Since, 'we' are the government, we are the ones doing all of this. Of all the things we throw money at, getting the benefits of inexpensive efficient postal services is one that I can support.

It's all connected. If you want the post office to 'compete', then how about Social Security, AFDC, Farm Subsidies, Federal Retirement Systems, etc? We could privatize the Federal Highway System and OSHA too. FEMA? Customs? Border Patrol? Congress, (please?)

Buddy

Buddy,
We don't provide much subsidy. I used to work for the USPS. Up until the time that I left, it had never failed to pay a PROFIT back into the US government of AT LEAST a billion $ a year. Since then there have been leaner times, but I think that, overall, it has been a friend to the taxpayer and not a drain.

Ed