+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kayak Color

Joe C Guest

Default Kayak Color

I am going to buy a new yak, the one I just sold was Green and it got a bit hot in the Florida sun.
    I am thinking of going to yellow to reflect the sun and also to avoid presenting a real dark shape on the surface of the water.
    My other color choice would be sand or blue, any advice would appreciated.
    Thanks
    Joe

If I was a fish looking up at the top of the water at the Florida blue sky, I would think blue would blend in better than any other color.

Just my opinion...
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

You're not on top of the fish, they're not going to see anything. Go with yellow, that way if for some reason you need rescuing (let's hope it's never needed) it will be a lot easier to find you.

Kevin

Joe C Guest

I think I have a solution, buy it in yellow and if the color appears to be a problem, paint the bottom.

A simple solution to a seemingly complicated problem, I wish I could take the credit for it.

Thanks for the help

Joe

In Florida saltwater, I would recommend a brighter color. I have a titanium blue and an orange kayak and can't tell any difference as far as being seen by fish. The main thing is being seen by power boaters. A kayak that blends in with the water is much more likely to get run over (believe me, power boaters are notoriously unobservant, particularly after a few beers).

If you have a rotomolded kayak, forget about painting the bottom. Paint will not stick in the long run and it will look like crap. You invariable scrape up the bottom on the beach, sand bars and oyster bars.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

I agree with dunfly. I've never noticed that the fish care whether my kayak/canoe is black, white, red, yellow, or green (i've had all of the above). But a kayak is low on the water and, relative to powered craft, slow. I'd get the brightest color and I'd use a paddle with white blades. It's the blades flashing in the sun that most powerboaters see first. A closed cell foam pad on the inside of the bottom of the kayak is great for protection from the hot plastic. It also quiets you down considerably. I've noticed that the fish are easily spooked by noises from inside a canoe and/or kayak.

Where I fish, the most important consideration when it comes to kayak color is what would be easiest for the drunken knuckheads in powerboat to see.
    My 'yak' is red, and the only other color I would buy would be yellow
    I wear a yellow PFD and my paddle blades are white..... with reflector tape
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Joe C Guest

Yellow it is, thanks for the help guys.
    Joe

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    Yellow it is, thanks for the help guys.
    Joe
    JoeC,

In this day and age, you'll definitley want to go with camo or sand. You know, earth colors. Easier to hide in and around the mangroves from the "guvmint"!!
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Joe C Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GILs_GONE_WILD View Post
    JoeC,

In this day and age, you'll definitley want to go with camo or sand. You know, earth colors. Easier to hide in and around the mangroves from the "guvmint"!!
    I hear ya, actually I think I will mount my Barrett 50 cal on it, catch some gulls, glue their feet to the barrel for camouflage and do some duck huntin, should be able to sneek up on em real good.

+ Reply to Thread