Michael,

Welcome to the passion of fly fishing! Take Onlymidges avice, he is a good fisherman. Also dont overlook many of the other streams in Western, NC. Except for a few tailwaters on the otherside of the hill (South Holston & Wataga in East TN) most of our water over here is not very technical. We do not have the BIG, HUGE hatches that they have out west. Don't get me wrong its good to know entomology, but you can catch lots of fish with just a few proven patterns. I believe (especially on small mountain streams here in NC) that Stealth is MUCH more important that "matching the hatch" I have not seen a wild brookie yet that would pass on a stimi (in the summer months) if its presented correctly & w/o spooking the fish. Also try some of the smallmouth water in the summer months. They are much less finickey & redeye bass are often caught in the small mouth rivers.
Most of all have fun & learn & don't take all the "technical" stuff too seriously - It will make the sport seem too much like work!!!

God Bless
Brannon