+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drying Motors

Default Drying Motors

Would a 9 to 18 VDC hobby motor be too fast to use as a rod dryer and finish applicator? I have no concept of this kind of speed. Radio Shack has them for $5.49 each
    Thanks,
    Bruce

What's the RPM?

Kelly
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Hi Kelly. I can't find the RPMs. It says super high speed so I imagine it would turn too fast to use as a dryer and finisher. Maybe you or someone could suggest a motor? I have a 2-rod dryer that I bought from Ebay that was handmade. I like it and it does the job. I was hoping to replace its motors with something faster. Do those motors have the RPMs written on them as a standard practice? Maybe I should go home and check them tonight.
    Bruce

I've been looking around and it seems that most drying and finishing motors go from 10 to 20 RPMs. Am I correct?

Bruce, that's about right. There are some slower motors that you can pick up, but up to 20 or so RPM should do the job. The best buys I've found have been on ebay. Just search under drying motors or rod drying motors and you'll usually find several in the category you're looking for and fairly reasonably priced. I've gone to most of the motor and hobby sites and just can't seem to find what I like for a decent price. Cabela's sells a fairly nice one, but it's at a premium price.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Blog Entries

Jann's sells one for around $13. I would check Ebay. I need to get more of them, too.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Bass_Bug Guest

Any old "wall warts" (AC power adapters for electronics) can be a treasure trove for DC motors. For example, if you have an 18V DC motor and use a 6V AC power adapter you will only turn the motor at 1/3 it's speed. On the other hand if your computer is close by, you can actually power a turner with a USB port. USB only draws about 5 volts DC (+/-). Just take an old USB mouse and cut the wire at the mouse for a 6 foot cord to work with. Use the red(+) for the load and the black(-) for the ground and disregard the white and green wires.

You might take a look at Surplus Center. They have some synchronous motors starting at about $4. They have AC motors in a variety of RPM's. At one point I purchased a ebay motor. I found that it ran hot. I had safety concerns about running the motor over a period of hours.
    Last edited by hardhat; 03-04-2010 at 03:28 AM.

Thanks All. Now, what kind of motor should I buy? I don't know the implications of DC, AC, synchronous, etc. I know nothing about electronics or motors. I saw a rod dryer with a self centering chuck for $70.

Do you think I could replace my current dryer motors with the new motors? I mean just switch them?

This motor appears as though it would fit right into the space where I'll take my old motor out. What do you think of the motor and price.There's free shipping and I'll need 2 of them.
    Bruce

http://cgi.ebay.com/22-RPM-ROD-DRYIN...item53dff275c3

http://cgi.ebay.com/22-RPM-ROD-DRYIN...item53dff275c3

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Thanks All. Now, what kind of motor should I buy? I don't know the implications of DC, AC, synchronous, etc. I know nothing about electronics or motors. I saw a rod dryer with a self centering chuck for $70.

Do you think I could replace my current dryer motors with the new motors? I mean just switch them?

+ Reply to Thread