+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel hand

Hybrid View

Default Reel hand

I did a quick search, and found nothing. Hopefully this isn't an oft debated topic that I just missed.

I'm wondering if you set your reels up for right hand or left hand retrieve.

I'm right handed and have all of my reels set up for LHR. I like to cast with my right, and feel comfortable reeling left.

I was reading Lefty's "Ultimate Guide to Fly Fishing" and he sugested that right handed folks set up their salt water reels for right hand retrieve, his reasoning being that while fighting a fish you'll likely need to take up large amounts of line and would be best at using your dominant hand to do so. (pg 115 and 116 of his book.)

Thoughts on this? I know it's too late for me to switch now.

Which hand is your dominant hand, and which to you reel with?

Cold Guest

Cast left, reel right, just like I do with any other fishing rod.
    Then again, I'm left-handed...

Right-handed caster, right-handed retrieve, always have been. Works for me. I know there are a lot of arguments pro and con - dominant hand, quicker retirieve, hand-eye... It works for me to do it this way, so I do. Hey, did I mention that I'm still able to catch a lot of fish and land them too.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I am right handed and have my reels set for left hand retrieve. Why switch hands with the rod when you need to retrieve?
    And why can't you change back to right hand retrieve if you change your mind?

Always reeled with my left hand. Spinning, casting, fly. Works, so I see no reason to change.

But it's a personal choice. Lots of folks are fine with casting right/reeling right.

Buddy

For freshwater fishing, especially dry fly fishing you can get a strike just as the fly lands, well before you can change the rod hand. Therefore, I believe it is better not to change hands and cast with one hand and reel with the other just like with a spinning rod.

In salt water, fish don't often hit on the cast. You need to strip the fly to entice a strike and so there is time to cast and reel with the same hand. I believe Lefty is correct in that you can reel faster with the dominant hand but to say that all fly fishers should do this is wrong. I believe that for fresh water anglers it is better to cast and reel with opposite hands.

If you are a fresh water angler that currently reels with the off hand, should you change when you go salt water angling? No! It is much better to stay with your normal muscle memory and do the same thing you do freshwater fishing. Salt water angling is stressful enough without trying to switch it up from your normal pattern.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I am setup for LHR. I started out both casting and retrieving with right hand. Someone suggested I try a LHR. I found I liked it much better. It seems more natural to me that way.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I was taught years ago by an old timer always right hand retrieve. That cannot be changed it is determined by TRADITION!!!! Cast with the right - reel with the right.

It was explained that the line could get caught on the reel handle if reeling left handed. I never followed that logic, but I can definitely follow the logic "best at using your dominant hand to do so." That definitely fits my logical brain.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

I cast with the right, reel with the left. Same as a spinning rod. Casting/conventional tackle I cast right and reel right since thats just how most casting reels are set up, I'm guessing for pitching/flipping type casts so you can avoid the reel handle. I've never had a problem with the line catching my reel fly casting on any cast that I made unless I really messed something up. Just seems natural to keep the rod in the same hand. Does anyone cast right, strip left, and reel right? That could be the best way, get to reel with your dominant hand when you need to pick up lots of line, but don't have to worry about switching hands immediately after the cast?

I reel with the left, as I like to have my dominant hand doing the important work of guiding da fishie. Reeling is monkey work, so I use my monkey hand. Not saying anything negative about lefties, I just call my left my monkey hand...a pale shadow of the real hand...my left hand and I don't get along...a long story of betrayal and missed opportunities there.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread