+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod weight differences

Default Rod weight differences

I wish I had enough experience with different rods to know this but I don't so....
    How much difference in rod weights do you think it takes to significantly just notice the difference or to make a rod more tiring?

I'm sure balance differences ,etc.
    come into play but just speaking generally bout weight????

Boy what a great question Ducksterman. I am wanting to build 10' rods but concerened about the wearing out of the arm on a long toon day as well.

I hope you get a lot of input on this.

Gem

Jim,
    I suppose you've notice right now there a number of threads going related to this question some mine and some others..with some good responses....I'm learning...

Out of the rods I normally fish, there is only two that I feel that the weight is a consideration.
    My 10wt weighs about 5 1/2 oz. After a long session I have a sore wrist. This is probably more bad casting form than the rod weight. I have learned to wear an elastic wrist brace when I fish this rod.
    The other rod is a rarely used glass 8wt that weighs in at around 7 1/2 oz. This rod casts like a rocket launcher. The only reason it doesn't get used more often is because it is way to heavy to cast all day.
    For all my other rods, the weight doesn't seem to matter.

------------------
    "The man who knows all about trout does not exist,
    although you have probably met him"
    Samuel G. Camp 1911
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I am sure that others can weigh in better than I, but my understanding is that if the same amount of force is applied to different lengthed/ same weight rods, each 6"= approximately 5' of distance. I had a 10' 5# that I found tiring over the course of the day, so I now just use a 9' and enjoy the casting process more. As for the actual weight rating of a rod is anyone's guess as the action is a large concern. I think at about 7# I can really notice a fatigue difference. And in fact, because of that, I have gone to shorter softer rods (discontinued Scott 8'8" HPs) in 8#,9#, and 11# which I like more. The softer the rod, I believe the more work the rod will do, and subsequently the less work I have to do to get the line out. But I am not a burly guy, so I think about these things. Again, just my $0.02, and it may not be worth even that.

Ducksterman,
    I believe the your style of casting/fishing will be your best determinant.
    I guess to simplify, if you falsecast or cast many times in your fishing style or situation, you will tire more and sooner than someone who executes that action less often.So I would say the style/situation dictates the rod weight.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

I have a bad casting shoulder, and recently changed to a rod that has roughly the same action/ length but is around 3/4oz lighter (4oz to 3 1/4oz) and have noticed a vast difference. this time last year I was thinking I was going to be forced into giving up fly fishing, this year you couldn't keep me away from the water

------------------
    Born to fish, forced to work.

Gem,

Just my 0.02$, ... but I cast a 10ft 8 wt all day long. (and salmon here is "the fish of 10,000 casts) ...

BIG difference is in the balance of the rod, spooled with the line.

I have a moderately heavy Lamson V3 on a Sage 10ft 8wt XP and can cast it ALL day long (sunup to sundown). Lots of roll casting too.

Friends here all cast 10 fts.

As for Duckster's question, ... imho, ... soon as you change 2 wts, ... the difference is really noticeable.

On identical rods, reel, line ... I have 6,7 and 8 all the same length and I only see tiny differences in the cast beween 6-7 ot 7-8.

I have no really heavy reels though. Even the inexpensive ones are light in weight.

A friend bought a cheap 8wt reel the other year and couldn't lift his arm after 3/4 of a day on the water.

Don't be affraid of 10 fts or heavier line weights, ... BE affraid of heavy reels and unbalanced rigs.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015738.html:ce1ce]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:ce1ce]

[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:ce1ce]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:ce1ce]
    Christopher Chin

I agree with fcch. However I have tested rods and lines which had the same effect as grabbing an electric fence.Generally if the rod line and reel is out of balance you know pretty quickly.

I have a well known and expensive 7wt 9'6" rod which due to the nature of the rod will leave you sore at the end of the day. I have another rod 7wt virtually the same action and roughly the same physical weight. Using the same reel and line you can cast all day without pain and with seemingly little effort. Although the former rod literally shoots line, the little shoulder push it needs at the end of the forward cast tires you by the end of the day. I thought this shoulder cast was me being quirky, so one day when I had the time and opportunity I spoke to the rod maker about it. The rodmaker dropped in to see me when he was in the area and tried out my rod. Same thing, its not me, he also had to give it a little shoulder push. No one knows why it does this and why the push is needed, its tiring and without focusing on what your body is doing, you dont even know you do it.
    It is possible that the rod isnt the problem, you could be tiring and changing your method and stance. If you can, set up a video camera and film over 10-20 minutes or however long it takes until you are tired. The results maybe surprising.

+ Reply to Thread