Thread: Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Red face Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just learned a lesson regarding an internet scam by a company selling virus protection and or anti spyware. The name of the the Company is Worldwide Software Baku, however lately they have begun making it look like they represent or are affiliated with Microsoft. They are attempting to sell you software that DOES NOT EXIST, specifically anti spyware. It begins with a pop up notice that says Trojan Horses, viruses, and anti spyware are lurking in the background of your computer and you are in imminent danger of irreversible damage to your computer. They then offer you a reasonably priced program to eliminate the problem and reverse the damage. If you buy it, or download it, it appears that it does repair the damage complete with a program icon. That icon will disappear in a matter of hours or a day or so, leaving only some damaged files, or desktop shortcuts that they in fact damaged to make it look like you really need their program. For more info do a search of Worldwide Software Baku Scam. Forewarned is forearmed! This lesson cost me $60 and the hassle of having to cancel my bankcard. They also seem to strike at a time making it difficult to investigate their claim, in my case at night on the weekend. Best of luck to the rest of you. At the time it happened I was using Mozilla Firefox and the desktop link would not work. I have also since upgraded from a free virus software to a paid version plus a firewall.
    Last edited by wizard; 03-01-2010 at 06:33 PM.