+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CARP RULES - Readers Cast (Ty Goodwin) - March 1, 2010

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default CARP RULES - Readers Cast (Ty Goodwin) - March 1, 2010

CARP RULES

As far as carp go, fly fishers have become a somewhat enlightened bunch. We are far less likely these days to wrinkle our noses when these fish come up in conversation. We no longer threaten to excommunicate members from our fly fishing clubs when they suggest heading to the local lake for an afternoon of carpin?.

Nice read. I was talking to someone about carp fishing at a local TU meeting and the looks that I received were anything but envious. Things still need to change more but it is more accepted now than ever before.

The next time someone gives you a dirty look when you mention "carp" you might remind them that bonefish were considered a trash fish, in fact BAIT for sailfish and marlin. Don't you just love it?

I actually remember reading about early bonefishishing, possible from Dave Whitlock - can't really remember, where he spoke about how they were once considered trash fish. I have a true passion for the carp. I keep them as pets and have since '95 (Japanese Koi - they are just pretty carp) and I fish for the lowly ones in the rivers many, many times per year. They are a worthy target in that they are bright. I remember Gary Borger speaking about how smart brown trout are with a tested IQ of 6. Then he said that the lowly carp has an IQ of 12 which is twice as smart as a brown trout.

I agree with the article that spoke about people trying to catch them on the fly rod and giving up for lack of success. They are tough indeed. Last year was the first year that I did really well on dry flies with them. Most of the time fishing with nymphs of one type or another. Can't wait for some warmer water in Wisconsin to chase them.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carp are such a wonderful fish. Anyone that has had ever?thing right just to have a carp turn up their nose and swim away can attest to this. Its almost like they just laughed at you and gave you the finger. I love them! I chase them exclusively until the smallies become more active, then carp get only half of my time on the water. They are frustrating to say the least but once you get that take and the line tightens, its all worth it! Like hooking a car on the highway

6. Default

Carp are delicious to eat too!! People ask me how I can eat a fish that eats bugs and stuff, then I ask em if they have ever eaten trout. Usually they say of course, that is when I inform them that trout eat the same insects and swimmy things that carp eat.

Adios Philip

+ Reply to Thread