+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tippet material in bulk?

Default Tippet material in bulk?

I am looking for a source for 7x and smaller tippet material in bulk. By bulk, I mean 100 yard spools or more.

I have been using 7x and 8x for light and ultralight furled leaders, but the 30 yard spools don't go very far. For heavier leaders, I have secured over 5,000 yards of 2 lb. monofilament
    in exchange for a few leaders. Not a bad deal.

I know that several of the members of this board have experience making furled leaders and hope that somebody can point me in the right direction for tippet material.

I have done a fairly extensive search online, but have yet to find anything but the small spools.

Any suggestions?

I guess it means what the meaning of is is....what do you consider bulk?

Personally I wouldn't consider using true tippet material for furled leaders....overkill and expensive...

I had to google but the first hit says 7x is .004 .....you can get .004 nylon spools at Wal-Mart and such places...clear/black/or smoke...I think 300yards

Yes, I am looking for .004, and have tried the nylon Coats and Clark product. I'm not convinced that it has sufficient strength required for leaders.

By bulk, I mean 100 yards or more, preferably 300. You're right, the 30 yard spools are way too expensive.

I am using this material, excellent quality, very low stretch but a bit expensive. I get 3 leaders out of a 100m spool.
    http://stores.ebay.com/stroftus, I am not affiliated to them in any way. I buy their material also for heavier leaders.

I buy Airflo's G3 fluorocarbon tippet from England, it comes in 100 meter spools. They are on sale now buy 1 get 1 free too.
    http://www.celticflycraft.co.uk/acat...o_G3.html#a467

I know that SA also has 100 yd guide spools of tippet.
    Last edited by Host Ray; 03-01-2010 at 01:51 AM.

I typed in "Fly tippet guide spools" and got lots of hits with 100m spools; here's one

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly...t=Tippet&type=

Regards,
    Scott

TwoWeight,

I'm now using both the .004 and the .005 Coats and Clark mono thread for furled leaders.

I guess if you are using very heavy tippets, it might have strength issue. My .004 furled leadrs break at about 10 pound test, the .005 at well over fifteen. So I'm using nothing heavier than 4x with the .004 and 1x with the .005. This ensures that the tippet is the weak link.

I guess it depends on just how much strength you need. I'm just not sure that premium 7x tippet material will give you all that much more strength in exchange for a significant price increase.

When I need a really strong leader, I use 10 pound test super braid. I can't break these at all by hand. I use them for pike and bass bugs, topwater stuff where I'm throwing heavy baits with twenty pound mono tippet (with a wire leader for pike).

Good Luck!

Buddy

Well, I figured out part of my problem. The Coats .004 that I used was polyester and not nylon. It did not have the same strength.

I found the .005 nylon at Walmart today, but only in clear. I really liked the smoke color better. I'm going to try a couple of hobby stores this weekend.

Thanks for all the replies. I had sent e-mails to several companies and got various results.

@ScottP TCO was one of them and they gave me some options. Thanks.

Try Tectan Mono from Cabela's. Available down to 8X in 300 meter and 1200 meter spools. Wide range of diameters with good breaking strength. I use it for tippet material.

I tried this and I hated the material. There is a lot of stretch in the material. When you have to pull your fly out of the tree (I have to) you end up with a big mess instead of a leader. Low stretch material is much easier in these situations.

+ Reply to Thread