+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who says this hobby can't save you money?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Who says this hobby can't save you money?

How many times have you lost the little plastic thing off the end of a shoe lace and fussed about having to buy new shoe laces? Just take a matching color of tying thread, lay in a base, wrap back to the front, whip finish and trim the tags. A few drops of head cement and your shoe lace is as good as new.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I solidify my nerdom with the information that that tiny thing at the end of your shoelace is called an aglet. I can see your shop sign now - Flies and Aglets:Tied while you wait.
    mcsteff

I dont' really worry about it, since I make steel leaders for pike fishing I just put a metal sleeve on each end and crimp them!!! They sure don't come off then!!!!!!!!!

Fatman

Blog Entries

I use shrink tubeing for electronics, or I just soak it in glue or melt it.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Blog Entries

I think it is a shrink type tubing to begin with. I have used heat shrink before but the colors didn't match this time.
    Kevin

I know the Economy is bad but didn't realize it was that bad where we need to start whip finish shoe laces

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    How many times have you lost the little plastic thing off the end of a shoe lace and fussed about having to buy new shoe laces? Just take a matching color of tying thread, lay in a base, wrap back to the front, whip finish and trim the tags. A few drops of head cement and your shoe lace is as good as new.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Popperfly,
    I think you failed to consider that the economy of fly tying/fishing is a constant. 1, We will never have everything we want. 2, Anything unrelated which we buy takes resources which would otherwise be available for fly tying/fishing. 3, It is sacrilegious to spend money wantonly on items which are not related to ones primary obsession, all others being strictly secondary and therefor inconsequential.
    I hope this puts things into proper perspective and that in the future you will either take better care of your shoelaces, or repair them as necessary saving resources for the truly important things in life.
    "This was on my mind",
    George

Quote Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
    I know the Economy is bad but didn't realize it was that bad where we need to start whip finish shoe laces

Blog Entries

I wouldn't string you along on this, either. Being out of work since last April and trying to get two little enterprises started on a shoestring, Things are tight with a capital squeeze. You never know until you walk a mile in the other guy's shoes
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    I wouldn't string you along on this, either. Being out of work since last April and trying to get two little enterprises started on a shoestring, Things are tight with a capital squeeze. You never know until you walk a mile in the other guy's shoes
    Agreed. It may seem like a small savings, but when you approach it as an attitude, it is amazing how those small things add up. My grandfather called it thrift, my teenager calls it cheap. I'm thinking Gramps knew a bit more than the kid.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

With silk thread, no less...

Ed

+ Reply to Thread