I think the bar has been raised. I remember years and years ago when I began to tie, hackles were small and good recognised colours were like gold dust. I don't have experience with Conranch or most other breeders, but I remember Metz and hoffmans being ground breakers of that day. It was stiffness in those days that a good dry fly tyer desired. Both these brands had beautiful long tapered feathers.

Since those days things have moved on so much. Whitings bought or took over Hoffman's and became the brand of choice over Metz for most people. Those long slender feathers with hardly a taper meaning you can tie several flies from one feather.

I think Whitings have also moved on too. I remember controversy about the stiffness of the stems. Some tiers thought Whiting hackles to have too stiff a centre stem. But not now. They tie as easily as certainly anything else I have ever found. Colours which at one time were collectors items are now available regularly. I mostly have whitings bronze capes and saddles but also a few silver. I have never seen a gold or better. I guess that one day Platinum may become the norm! I can't wait!

So I think yes the bar has been raised and no doubt its a continuous process. Soon I will buy some of the conranch capes. They appear very popular amongst you guys............