+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TieFest 2010

Hybrid View

Default TieFest 2010

First time I've been able to attend (it always seemed to fall on my wife's birthday before) and it was a lot of fun. Big names like Lefty, Bob Clouser, Brian Horsley, Sarah Gardiner, Bob Popovics, Steve Farrar (if you've never seen him tie, it's a real pleasure) and plenty of other excellent tiers. A little bit crowded (with all the snow the east coast has been getting, Cabin Fever has spread like wildfire) but worth it, and it gives me a reason to shed a few pounds!! Thanks to the folks at the Maryland Coastal Conservation Association and the Kent Narrows Yacht Club for putting on the show.

Regards,
    Scott

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Scott,

Color me a little green with envy. That's a pretty impressive group of tiers and fishermen. I would love to have been there. 8T

It was pretty cool and most of those folks are down-to-earth and willing to share what they know, which is a lot.

Regards,
    Scott

This is the third year I've attended Tiefest and it seems to get better each year. Lefty Kreh was really moving about, spent most of his time out in the crowd, gave a lot of knot tying lessons(I for one benefitted from his instruction). Bob Clouser talked more than I ever heard him before and his casting instruction was awesome.

It appeared to me that people were spending a lot of money, everywhere I looked I saw someone buying something.

I agree with Scottp, Steve Farrar is fun to watch and his patterns were very good.

Blane Chocklett needs to write a book or create a DVD of his techniques.

I think the unsung heros were the Gem City Fly tiers, they were tying very interesting stuff and extremely approachable, one let me try out his Rite bobbin, another helped me learn a tying technique by instructing me while using his vise.

I don't know if you were there for the Lefty Kreh Birthday cake but everyone sang happy birthday to Lefty, I think he was suprised and humbled. It's hard to believe he's 85!

I know I left out a lot of great tiers but you have to be there and experience this one, it's a real hidden gem of a show.

Hats off to Tony Freidrich, and everyone else who organizes this event!

Wayne

Loved going to it when I still was on the Eastern Shore. Always a great event with wonderful people willing to answer any questions you might have. Live in a great area now, but do miss the salt sometimes.

Thanks for the kind words gents.
    I do what I can with what I've got and it always seems to work out..... somehow..
    Glad everyone likes it.. this is pretty much my only payoff!
    See you all next year!

+ Reply to Thread