Thread: Just a thought

Threaded View

The Question was "How much of an investment..."? .
    That is a bit of a loaded question.
    What do we have?
    How much time?
    Where does it (F.F) figure in or thoughts or our actions?
    See what I mean about investment.
    I remember waching my Dad fly cast when I was a kid (a long time ago) and thinking that some day I would like to do that .
    Some day is now.
    I see flowing water either in person or on film or photo and my first thought is either"Trout" or "No trout" .
    The tally of rods that are in my arsenal is around a dozen. None of them of the high end . All of them have a story.
    The "Shakespear Wonder rod that Dad gave me in the sixties for my first fly rod. Then there is the little Orvis graphite that I picked up at a hospice thrift store for 2$ and that Betty Hiner rewrapped for me. There is baseball bat action rod that one of my daughters gave to me as a Christmas gift that I wont get rid of for any thing. The Oris that I continue to break but wont get rid of it either as my wife got it for me as a gift (I would not recomend that rod to any one).
    I couldnt afford 1400$ for an Orvis tying desk so my wife took a look at the Orvis model and redisigned it , drafted it up and I built one better suited to my needs . Cost me 50 $ in parts (oak was free ) and only about a hundred and fourty hours in labor ,now I have a first class tool and material storage unit.
    Most of my vacations are all centered around flyfishing .My wife has made all the arraingments for us to go to the Virginia Fly Fishing Festival this year. I have the basics for tying flys and am constantly on the lookout for different tools that can be used for tying (pester your local dental hygenist for used dental tools , they are awsome).
    There are waters in the world that will never see the shadow of my rod cast across them . I dont regret that , the knowing that such places exist are enough for me.
    Yours ,
    Perch
    Last edited by perch; 03-04-2010 at 12:38 AM.