+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened to REAL Olympic sports?

Bass_Bug Guest

Default What happened to REAL Olympic sports?

I didn't want to hijack the Hockey threads so.......

I'm not a Hockey fan, but it's beats the H3LL out watching that totally ridiculous event (I won't even call it a sport) they call 'curling'. That has to be the absolute dumbest thing I've ever seen, and to think how much network air time they've wasted showing it.

They say the high ratings it's getting is from the housewives watching during the day. The reason for that is because they (housewives) are totally fascinated with seeing so many men aggressively sweeping the floor.

I say if this technique were in Golf, it would be like the pro golfer putting on the green and the caddy using a weed eater in front of the ball to shape the green in the balls path.

Whoever came up with this, you know is sitting back laughing thinking "I can't believe they actually fell for THAT!"

Wink

Yeah, I agree. Gotta like those 'real' Olympic sports.... like nude wrestling
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Curling, it's a Scottish thing. It goes better with a single malt
    Walt

Curling has been around a long, long time. Think about the control and finesse it takes to do well in this sport, not unlike good fly casting, and it is clearly a combination of mental and physical coordination, combined with a measurable goal and objective scoring criteria. That to me is a sport. The problem is, it just isn't exciting to watch unless you are into it. My guess is that it would be a humbling experience to give it a try.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla 1 View Post
    Curling has been around a long, long time. Think about the control and finesse it takes to do well in this sport, not unlike good fly casting, and it is clearly a combination of mental and physical coordination, combined with a measurable goal and objective scoring criteria. That to me is a sport. The problem is, it just isn't exciting to watch unless you are into it. My guess is that it would be a humbling experience to give it a try.
    Using your criteria billiards should be an Olympic sport...
    I did hear that a group is petitioning the Olympic committee to include pole dancing in the future. It does require mental and physical coordination. Or so I'm told..

Blog Entries

Bass Bug,

May I suggest that you give Curling a try then make a judgment decision on that sport?

I know I would fail miserably at it, when the person drops down to finish the push off my legs would be going into a spasm or Charlie Horse like you wouldn't believe. That would not be very pretty.

Many sports are like that (tennis anyone, or maybe baseball?). If you are not 'into' the sport then it seems rather uninteresting.

Back in good old Scotland and other areas of the English Isles, what else is there to do during a long cold winter? Drink and play and you could only play during the day which leaves drinking.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Bass Bug: I really got a chuckle out of your post. Your writing reminded me of Ed Zern or Patrick McManus.

Thanks, Tim

One could also ask why they even call the Olympics sports. Some say that if it takes a rod, a gun or a bow it's a sport. If it takes a mouth guard, jock strap or specialty bra, then it's athletics. So, where does one draw the line. For me, curling has earned it's way into the Olympics and in my eyes should stay. I watched it while waiting for hockey and found myself exuberantly rooting for the Canadian women. I got wrapped up in it and it was totally entertained.
    Man alive, I NEED TO GO FISHING.

Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Blog Entries

I personally would get rid of the dancing on ice, synchronized swimming etc and keep curling.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Gotta like those 'real' Olympic sports.... like nude wrestling
    summer or winter

+ Reply to Thread