+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to REAL Olympic sports?

Hybrid View

Bass_Bug Guest

Default What happened to REAL Olympic sports?

I didn't want to hijack the Hockey threads so.......

I'm not a Hockey fan, but it's beats the H3LL out watching that totally ridiculous event (I won't even call it a sport) they call 'curling'. That has to be the absolute dumbest thing I've ever seen, and to think how much network air time they've wasted showing it.

They say the high ratings it's getting is from the housewives watching during the day. The reason for that is because they (housewives) are totally fascinated with seeing so many men aggressively sweeping the floor.

I say if this technique were in Golf, it would be like the pro golfer putting on the green and the caddy using a weed eater in front of the ball to shape the green in the balls path.

Whoever came up with this, you know is sitting back laughing thinking "I can't believe they actually fell for THAT!"

Wink

Yeah, I agree. Gotta like those 'real' Olympic sports.... like nude wrestling
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Curling, it's a Scottish thing. It goes better with a single malt
    Walt

Curling has been around a long, long time. Think about the control and finesse it takes to do well in this sport, not unlike good fly casting, and it is clearly a combination of mental and physical coordination, combined with a measurable goal and objective scoring criteria. That to me is a sport. The problem is, it just isn't exciting to watch unless you are into it. My guess is that it would be a humbling experience to give it a try.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla 1 View Post
    Curling has been around a long, long time. Think about the control and finesse it takes to do well in this sport, not unlike good fly casting, and it is clearly a combination of mental and physical coordination, combined with a measurable goal and objective scoring criteria. That to me is a sport. The problem is, it just isn't exciting to watch unless you are into it. My guess is that it would be a humbling experience to give it a try.
    Using your criteria billiards should be an Olympic sport...
    I did hear that a group is petitioning the Olympic committee to include pole dancing in the future. It does require mental and physical coordination. Or so I'm told..

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    Using your criteria billiards should be an Olympic sport...
    I did hear that a group is petitioning the Olympic committee to include pole dancing in the future. It does require mental and physical coordination. Or so I'm told..
    Point taken...that's why I don't get to make the distinction. I would amend my statement to clarify that while not the only criteria, these are essential. Billiards...better than ice dancing in my opinion. Either it went in the pocket or it didn't. Now pole dancing...one more purely subjective "sport" where the score is not a measurable value, but subject to the whims of the judges. If pole dancing actually makes it, the Olympics will be greatly diminished. Of course, finding enough amateurs who have never danced professionally could kill the whole idea anyway.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Gotta like those 'real' Olympic sports.... like nude wrestling
    summer or winter

Blog Entries

My personal feeling is that any activity that requires a judge to determine the winner isn't a true sport. If it isn't fastest, strongest, most accurate or some combination of those, I personally don't put it in the same category. I'm not saying it isn't athletic, but I see it more as a performing art. Especially if costumes and "interpretation" are involved. Sorry to the ice dancing and figure skating fans out there, as well as the half pipe and acrobatic skiing and snowboarding fans.

Curling is OK with me. Scoring and no real doubts about who the winner is.
    Last edited by ol' blue; 02-27-2010 at 04:30 PM.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Curling is a lot of fun to play, and there's a lot of strategy and skill involved. I've been told baseball and American football are similar that way but personally I never got into either of them and so I can't see the strategy (though the skill is obvious since I've played a bit). A normal bonspiel (curling tournament, probably spelled wrong) often involves multiple single malts, which does add to the excitment on the ice!

My personal view, though, is that the Olympics should really be single participant sports. All the team sports (and sigh, yes I would have to say hockey despite my love for the game) really don't meet my understanding of an Olympian. I also agree that anything that requires a judge should be removed; and so should speed walking just out of principle. In the end, though, everyone who has made it to the Olympics deserves our admiration and respect. They have achieved the top of their country's trust and respect, and my hat is off to them all.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Blog Entries

I would like to see as the next winter and summer sport added to the Olymipics - Full Contact Aussie rules Fly Fishing.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

+ Reply to Thread