+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A size 20 rant

Default A size 20 rant

I have just come to a conclusion. From now on, for any nymph I tie, size 18 and smaller, I'm only gonna use thread and dubbing (ala Al's Rat). No ribbing, not tails, no beads, no wing cases, no nothing. I figure by varying the color of the thread and maybe the dubbing I'll be close enough.

I love tying, generally find it very therapeutic, but found myself using a lot of foul language today when tying some small stuff.

Anyone else use this approach (the simplicity not the foul language)?

Blog Entries

Nope I tie #22 Doc Spratleys, gnats, wooly buggers PTN etc all the time and put everything there that should be there.

I do tie almost all of Al Campbell's too simple flies, that might be a suggestion for you. They only have the bare minimum to start with. A bloodworm is only red thread with a black or brown thread head. There are lots of patterns with using only thread such as a thread ant.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Yes, 20+ flies are tough.
    1 -- use a magnification light as discussed on another thread
    2 -- don't overlook the value of floss or flat waxed nylon
    3 -- contrasting thread makes fine ribbing on tiny flies. Rod wrapping thread works well for bodies.
    4 -- Craft stores sell "seed beads" which work for bead head flies
    5 -- one or two strands of calf tail work well for many patterns

I think I will invest in a magnification light for sure. I use a NorVise and only have the standard jaws - I wonder if that's part of the problem? Perhaps I should spring for the "fine point conversion" jaws. I do love fishing the small stuff, just not liking tying it right now.

Could also be that tying with poor light at the kitchen table after shoveling a snow drift from the end of the driveway has something to do with my disposition. Perhaps a Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA or 2 might improve my bad attitude. Dang shack nasties, come on spring!

I am tying down to size 26 for a trip to the San Juan River (New Mexico) where small flies are a must. If I feel I need smaller (down to 32), I buy them at one of the fly shops along the river. I use hooded magnifiers similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/hobbytoolsuppl...67221241&sr=8-1 although mine does not have the loupe or the lights. I think I bought it at Sears about 30 years ago. Really handy for close work like fly tying or rod building.
    After you tie these midges for awhile, it is hard to go back to tying normal flies, like 14 and larger! It is fun to tie these little ones but production goes out the window. You must have lots of patience so hang in there and good luck!

Forgot to add that midge jaws are a must.
    Last edited by bjames; 02-26-2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: problem with link

I started with size 10 and over time went smaller and smaller. Now I can tie a size 20. How about you go with 14 and 16 for a few dozen, then down to 18 and then 20 will be easier. Maybe you have already done that. I saw a little flying critter the other day and said to myself, "size 28, no way". It was good for a chuckle.

Paul

@bjames - you're my hero. I wouldn't even attempt a 26 right now.

@rockthief
    Yeah, I know what you mean about the 28s. Quite frankly it's hard to believe something that small can draw the attention of a fish, but I guess we're not meant to understand all of mother nature's secrets.

I can crank out 16's and larger like a machine (which I need to as I tie for myself, my dad, my father in law, and my 12 yr old son). At size 18's I'm generally still fairly efficient, but get to 20's and my fingers get tied in knots.

what size tippet to people use for such tiny flies?

Normand Guest

size 20!

how about a 32, 35 or even a 42! now thats a rant!

http://smallflyfunk.blogspot.com/201...eekly-fly.html

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    size 20!

how about a 32, 35 or even a 42! now thats a rant!

http://smallflyfunk.blogspot.com/201...eekly-fly.html

That is a sick sick man....
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

+ Reply to Thread