+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gatti fly rod

I've built a number of rods for customers on Gatti blanks over the past couple years, and I'm also friends with Brian that owns Gatti USA out in Montana which you spoke too. Gatti blanks are nice, they are faster action and very light. Some of the lightness comes from a slight decrease in wall thickness to save weight, so you simply have to be a bit more careful with them than some other rods. Not that they break easy or anything, but like any other high end item you have to be careful with it. Tha fact that Gatti does the first break free is really almost unheard of. Most all companies charge you $50 for a new unwrapped tip, so the price of the second break isnt that far off if you consider you got the first replacement for free. Also as someone else said, Sandro Gatti is in Italy, so your looking at a good $35-$40 of that charge going to shipping.

Steve

I have several Gattis, I did break a tip trying to land a large King salmon. I came up too sharply and 'candy-caned' the tip. Gatti did not replace the tip, they replaced the rod. Sandro said it should not have happened, I still think it was my fault. Some of the folks here have cast one of our Gatti rods either at a Fish-In or class, the response is pretty much the same from all. It is a terrific rod, the technology to produce a rod with uniform wall thickness is one I wish all rod makers had, it makes the rod lighter and with fewer vibrations. I know Gatti will never be a big name in the US, Sandro would rather fish (and take his son fishing with him) than fight the wars of commerce. All in all I can't say that I blame him. At one time the rods were going to be 'finished, assembled here in WA state, having the rod made in the USA would have made a big difference. In today's economy? Who knows. Of all the things that might have been, that one is still very difficult for me.

As a rule I do not respond to these type of comments but there comes a time when it becomes necessary. Of course it looks as though me commenting is not needed due to the comments of others and I thank you for that. In all good consonance I can not say for certion if the gentleman who started this thread is in fact the individual who sent me the bellow email but there are a lot of similarities.
    “Hi Brian I broke my rod in two places.The tip section and the middle section.I have a fr908-3pa.I would like to know how much the two sections would costto replace,and where I have to ship it .I broke my tip a couple of years ago so I guess I have to pay for this one.
    Thanks,”

This email states two broken sections not just the tip. In addition the individual who sent this email also called me. The rod he wanted was infect was not on the 60% sale list and that was not to his liking. A sale is a sale and items are added for a specific reason like overstock. Had it been on the list it would have been shipped from Italy and the buyer would need to pay import duty and if in the future the rod was sold then excise tax would need to be paid.

The individual that sent the above email was quoted $179.00 for replacement of the tip and mid section by phone call about 2/23/2010. $30.00 of the $179.00 was service charge to cover shipping. In our phone conversation he stated that he fell and broke the two section and that he often breaks rods because he does not take care of them.

The GATTI warranty is very clear. One breakage is covered for one section, The side B of the warranty card must be sent to Italy within 30 days of purchase or the warranty is invalid. I take care of that.

The FR908 -3PA is no longer a in stock blank although replacement sections are available. If it was a stock rod with the drop in value of the dollar it retail for $700.00 plus change.

This individual stated a number of times that he did not like the GATTI warranty and that is OK but it will not be changed just for him.

Again I wish to thank those who made positive comments on this subject I do appreciate it.
    Brian T. Ahern

Any impact to a rod shaft that damages the stuctural integrity at the point of impact will weaken that spot and greatly increase the chance of failure. A beadhead fly or a deep scratch in the surface of the shaft wall will bring about failure. I'm not certain what the warranty covers in the case of your Gatti but I think you have been treated fairly. Warranties are intended to cover structural failure at the point and time of manufacture. Using them as a result of failure due to ones own mistreatment is inappropriate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Trainer View Post
    Any impact to a rod shaft that damages the stuctural integrity at the point of impact will weaken that spot and greatly increase the chance of failure. A beadhead fly or a deep scratch in the surface of the shaft wall will bring about failure. I'm not certain what the warranty covers in the case of your Gatti but I think you have been treated fairly. Warranties are intended to cover structural failure at the point and time of manufacture. Using them as a result of failure due to ones own mistreatment is inappropriate.
    Trout Trainer, Welcome to FAOL, interesting first post. (I'm guessing no on has ever had trouble knowing where you stand on an issue) In my opinion warranties are just what they say on paper if the warranty covers all damage, it covers all damage. Its not a moral issue its a contract. As far as the Gatti goes when you buy something high end made in Europe, then you sometimes wait for service. in this case shipping time and expense. Kind of like owning a high end sports cars sometimes you wait for parts.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

If the rod was warrantied, it should be covered. If a company is not being responsible and backing up their warranty then we all should know about it and then we can make a decision to buy from them or not. In the past, I have seen other posts regarding problems with Gatti. Overall, I think we are lucky that these rod companies warranty them at all -- after all, they are a tool and tools can break. A bead head fly -especially the larger salmon type flies - breaking a rod tip is very common. To have rods warranteed for years, or even life, is just crazy and we all tend to get the Costco mentality whereby we can buy something, use if for in some cases years and then return it to Costco and get our money back---Crazy world!

fish fiberglass

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    Trout Trainer, Welcome to FAOL, interesting first post. (I'm guessing no on has ever had trouble knowing where you stand on an issue) In my opinion warranties are just what they say on paper if the warranty covers all damage, it covers all damage. Its not a moral issue its a contract. As far as the Gatti goes when you buy something high end made in Europe, then you sometimes wait for service. in this case shipping time and expense. Kind of like owning a high end sports cars sometimes you wait for parts.

Eric
    Eric,
    I have no argument with your view. Any differences we hold are only a reflection of the princples we each choose to live by.

+ Reply to Thread