+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Click Pawl Reel

Default Click Pawl Reel

What exactly is a click pawl reel? How do they work? Which is better a click pawl reel or disc drag reel? Thanks

------------------
    -Brandon

a click and pawl reel contains a spring thart puts tension on the reel. I dont think any can be adjusted, they only have one setting. Some can be shut off. They do have the advantage of being smooth. Sudden stops due to a bad drag could snap the tippet. THey are fine for most types of fishing.

A disc drag works similar to the drag on a spinning reel. It is an adjustable(sometimes) knob that tightens down on the reel, therefore increasing or decreasing the drag. THey have the advantage of being adjustable(most) and therefore sometimes suitable for larger fish.

I think that spring and pawl reels are a little bit too loose, but thats probably due to the kind of fishing I do.

Would a click and pawl reel be fine for fishing middle tn for small trout? Thanks guys for your help!

------------------
    -Brandon

absoletely. In fact it could even be better. Like I said, its very smooth.

My reel's drag is broken, and i feel comfident going after small brookies in my local pond

OK thank you for your help. I appreciate it!

------------------
    -Brandon

Most click and pawl reels have an adjustable drag, but the adjustment doesn't really amount to much. By turning the adjustment knob a small cam is turned which adjusts the tension on the spring that applies resistance to the movement of the pawl. This is an excellent type reel for those fish where you don't expect long fast runs. I have had no problem using them for trout, panfish, or bass. In the event you do hook a fish that overpowers the drag, you can always apply a little palm resistance along the rim of the spool. Most of the reels I currently use are disc drag types, but I certainly don't feel underequipped when I use one of my click/pawl reels.

Larry Compton

A spring pawl is also that old school sound (Hardy's) very distinct sound. I have one on my 4 wt's. You do get more drag adjustment from a gear or cork drag.

My little Colorado "0" (no tension adjustment) makes that wonderful sound that only a fine click and pawl reel can make. And yes, for small - modest-sized trout, the use of a C&P reel can be advantageous. Some (like mine) has nearly imperceptible start-up inertia that really protects fine tippets.

[This message has been edited by 7Pines (edited 08 February 2006).]

Thank you all for the information and help! I really appreciate it!

------------------
    -Brandon

+ Reply to Thread