Several times recently, when talking about rubber leg stonefly nymphs, I've mentioned that I think they are taken as worms as often as they are stonefly nymphs. That observation always gets some looks.

A couple days ago I tied up a worm on a size 8 Dai-Riki 280 2XL Hopper hook, weighted with 20 wraps of .25 non lead wire and using only a chocolate brown chenile for the body. Yesterday I fished it, under very unfavorable conditions, on the East Fork of the Bitterroot. Had on one good sized trout and lost it and then took a 15" cutthroat that wiggled free at my feet ( still in the water ) while I was fiddling with the camera.

Today at the Grizzly Hackle in Missoula I saw some Tiemco 400T swimming nymph hooks in size 8 on sale. Hmmmmmm ..... Nice shape for a worm.

Think I'll go fishing.

John

P.S. Undoubtedly someone else, some where, at some time has already done this worm. But I've never seen it before so I am taking the liberty of giving it a name.

P.S.1 I hope none of the folks in the Bitterroot take exception to or offense at the name. But that's where the fly took its first fishies.

P.S.2 No apologies to the purists - and I intend to fish it under an indicator !!