+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bitterroot Worm

Wink Bitterroot Worm

Several times recently, when talking about rubber leg stonefly nymphs, I've mentioned that I think they are taken as worms as often as they are stonefly nymphs. That observation always gets some looks.

A couple days ago I tied up a worm on a size 8 Dai-Riki 280 2XL Hopper hook, weighted with 20 wraps of .25 non lead wire and using only a chocolate brown chenile for the body. Yesterday I fished it, under very unfavorable conditions, on the East Fork of the Bitterroot. Had on one good sized trout and lost it and then took a 15" cutthroat that wiggled free at my feet ( still in the water ) while I was fiddling with the camera.

Today at the Grizzly Hackle in Missoula I saw some Tiemco 400T swimming nymph hooks in size 8 on sale. Hmmmmmm ..... Nice shape for a worm.

Think I'll go fishing.

John

P.S. Undoubtedly someone else, some where, at some time has already done this worm. But I've never seen it before so I am taking the liberty of giving it a name.

P.S.1 I hope none of the folks in the Bitterroot take exception to or offense at the name. But that's where the fly took its first fishies.

P.S.2 No apologies to the purists - and I intend to fish it under an indicator !!
    The fish are always right.

A simple fly like that that works is worth it weight in gold. Well...copper at least.

I like it!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

John,

I say you have another potential winner with that one! Can't wait to hear your report on how it fishes. By the way, thanks for staying in touch the last few months. It's alway good to hear from you. Sounds like the move to Montana's treated you well so far?

I haven't gone back to the thread yet on your pending "Spring Creek" adventure. Have you got your arsenal of flies put together?

Thanks a million!
    Joe Bertolini

Normand Guest

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    Kinda. But distinctly different.

John

John: Nice looking fly. I would like to to get you to tie a couple with bright colored thread for the head and let us know what you think. I think a red or orange head may be productive.

Tim

Unhappy Sorry folks ....

.... but I kind of babied him instead of just horsing him in. Wanted to let him work off a bit of steam before I handled him so I was just standing there watching him about twenty feet away when he decided he had had enough. Went back to where he came from, probably.

But he was kind enough to leave the fly in one piece.

John

P.S. Oh yeah, I should mention that he was a gorgeous, fat, 18-19" rainbow that jumped a couple times, ran in circles when held in check, and pulled like a freight train.

P.S.1 Scott raised the question in a PM if I thought the fishies took the worm as a skwala nymph yesterday. My reply was that I don't know if the fishies take a rubber legs stonefly nymph as a nymph or a worm, and I don't know if they take the worm as a worm or a skwala nymph. What I do know is that the fly is simple, easy to tie, and has caught some really nice fish the past couple days. Maybe I'll get some pics of the worm with a fish tomorrow when I go down to the West Fork of the Bitterroot for the first time.

P.S.2 Before I saw the Tiemco 400T hook this morning, I was considering doing an articulated worm. That is still a possibility. Thinking about using an unweighted natural bend hook for the back half and a weighted 400T for the front half. Should produce a more lifelike worm - longer and lots of wiggles.

Default B. W. 2.0

With a tip of the hat to Norman and Panman, here's the Bitterroot Worm 2.0. Shouldn't have any problem articulating how this one was tied.

Since the rear section is only for show and, hopefully, movement, it is attached to the front hook with 2X tippet. After getting to the point shown in the third photo, wrap the tying thread forward to the end of the lead wraps, double the tippet over, and then wrap the thread back over the tippet to secure it in place.

About every fourth wrap of vernille, I took a couple thread wraps to secure it to the shank and strengthen the fly.

Will give this one a go on the West Fork of the Bitterroot tomorrow, along with the other version that I fished yesterday on the Bitterroot, and some rubber legs skwala nymphs. If I hit any water where I think a fishy might come up for a dry, Z's skwala will see some action.

John

back to basics, i like that. seems to me that much of the stuff we add to a fly is to please our egos and make us believe it's necessary.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Looks like winner. Better than those fancy things it takes all day to tie...
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread