+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fixed blades

Hybrid View

Default Fixed blades

I'm in the market for my first fixed blade knife. I've only owned a gerber paraframe mini for about 5 years, and think it's time to upgrade once and for all.
    The 2 I'm looking at have bamboo and leather handles, and are in my price range. But I haven't a clue as to whether bamboo is actually a good handle material or not. But leather I'm aware is fine.
    Has anyone ever used a bamboo handled knife?

Can't say as I've ever seen a bamboo handled knife. I have several with wood handles (cherry, maple, and walnut) and they all work well. The cherry handled one I made myself about 15 years ago and it gets carried quite a bit. Most of my other knives are bone, horn or antler handled. I'm kind of partial to antler and bone myself. It has a nice feel to it and is quite durable.

I don't see any reason why bamboo would be a bad material for a knife handle depending on the use you intend. If you're going to be pounding nails with the handle, it may not work but for realistic use of the knife I guess it should perform about like the wood handle knives I have and they have given me no problems.

Hope this helps.
    Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

I have found bamboo to be hit or miss depending on the style, tupe of bambo, the curing and the type of useage the blade will get. now if its just bamboo inserts then go for it but personalally i'll stick to my kabar

Blog Entries

the problem I can see with bamboo is its a grass, the grain will be really dull in short pieces and it isn't stabilized. were I to make a handle of bamboo I would cut it out of flooring. the problem with leather is it rots and molds. I like synthetics, not nice to look at etc. but a knife is a tool and it gives me the best grip. by the way the sharpest knife I have ever purchased was a CRKT brand, but I am real fond of Randalls, just cant afford one yet.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Well the bamboo handle is made of ( at least it appears to be) 2 pieces. Here are the 2 I'm looking at right now:
    http://tinyurl.com/yf7fd6k
    http://tinyurl.com/yfn3g4f

Blog Entries

the k-bars have been around since WW2 or before, they are in the sharpened pry bar classification of knife, made for the demands a field marine can put on one. you could clean fish with one but I wouldn't want to try and fillet one out. the Original size is big enough that it can get you in trouble in some areas. and it will get you funny looks in the gas station on the way to fishing. The short one is still a big knife. they are a good quality inexpensive knife.

the one with the bamboo handle the medium hunter is still a big knife but for $30 bucks if you dont like it you can put it in your trunk for emergencys.

If it were me I would keep looking but a knife is a personal thing, every one has different likes.

What do you intend to do with this knife. just general camp chores and hunting or is it primarily a fish knife?

this is more my type of knife, in style and size.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

Eric
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 02-26-2010 at 12:16 AM.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread