+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awesome fly reels cheap

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Awesome fly reels cheap

Ok, I know this is going to sound like a sales pitch, but I get absolutely nothing out of anyone buying one of these fly reels. I stumbled across their reels on Ebay and boy am I ever glad I did! Here is a link to the companie's website http://www.allenflyfishing.com/xl.html I got my reel in today and I couldn't be happier! The reel I got sells for $75.00 on their website, and spare spools are only $30.00. Here is what their website says about the XL reel that I recieved today...The XL Series features a larger arbor spool with a very smooth and flawless bearing system.
    With it's straight forward bearing design. It provides a better access to the maintenance of the reel.

With it being CNC machined from bar stock aluminum and stainless steel. It gives the reel a corrosion resistance finish that's suitable for fresh and saltwater use.

As with all our reels, the drag system is our main concentration. It's a carbon sealed disc drag. The carbon allows a stronger grab letting you take more control of the reel without losing your line. It's proven great success with our Alpha Series.

Other features include; an Anti tangle counter balanced spool, 2+1 BB, 1:1 gear ratio, exposed palming rim, easy right to left hand exchange, and a large knob for adjustable drag for better control.

Let me know what you all think. I am so sorry, I thought these were U.S. made, but now I find out I was wrong. These are still very nice reels though. Thank you all and take care,
    Erby
    Last edited by tnharleyman; 02-26-2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: found out I was wrong, now I feel stupid

I understand your excitement.
    I bought a pair of the XL reels a while back as well. Very similar in looks to the Cabela's SLA fly reel (the black version, of course). The reel feels very solid. I spooled up the 5/6 size with 125 yds of Cortland Micron Backing, plus a 5wt WF Floating fly line that was 85' long.

They really seem to be an excellent value for the price.

The reels are all set to go, but I can't fish them until all this darn snow and ice disappears!!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I got mine (5/6) about a month ago and it is solid for sure and i also got it with 2 extra spools... I love the thing and I'm sure there will be more in the future for me.

I just recieved an email back from them that said if you have allready purchased one, you can purchase additional reels for $48.00 each !!!! It just keeps getting better all the time. Glad you guys like yours as well. Tight lines and god bless,

Erby

I think this was posted before.
    Looks like a copy of a Cabelas SLA reel............or vice versa.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I added a reel to the "cart" on the website, but it won't let me put any extra spools in. Anybody else have trouble with it?
    They're just fish, right? Right?

7. Default

JUst a word of warning. Cabelas had a TON of trouble with this design and discontinued it. Maybe it is not exactly the same but be careful. Cfisher

I've been in contact with them - trying to find some more reviews online, but the site has definitely peaked my interest.

I used the SLA quite a bit last year. Caught 2 of my 3 biggest fly-rod fish on it. Never had a problem with it at all.

The Allen & Co XL, to me, actually feels a bit more solid and sturdy. The XL looks very similar to the SLA, but isn't identical.

The vests/packs appear to have many of the same features as some of the Fishpond offerings.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

The packs I wouldnt be worried about - I'm sure they are top notch. You are essentially paying that much for the fishpond name. I wish they had a waterdance knock-off, I'd buy it in a second. I am very interested in hearing some reviews of the fly line and hooks - because if they are as good as the prices, I will go crazy on that site -haha.

+ Reply to Thread