+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wanting to buy a chest and small backpack system

Default Wanting to buy a chest and small backpack system

I am looking to buy a chest and small backpack system . I don't want to spend a fourtune on it like the Fishpond systems. Any suggestions?

Although I'm partial to the Richardson style box, the Downs Chest fly boxes are pretty cool too. I know a bunch of folks who are happy with them.

Here's their backpack/harness system ... http://www.chestflybox.net/301.html.

dbhs_1_lg.jpg

The L. L. Bean Rapid River Vest-Pack is a nice option.

The waistbelt takes the weight off your shoulders and on your hips. The back pocket is big enough to hold a jacket, lunch, and beverages. At $99 it's hard to beat.
    Pro rege et pro patria pugnans

I used the Cabela's chest vest, in three different iterations, for a number of years. I really liked many things about them, including the price and value. I especially liked the way it opened into a drop down table in front when changing flies.

Then I won a Fishpond fanny pack in an auction. I loved being able to see my feet again while I was wading. But that fanny pack had way too much weight out horizontally and just wasn't comfortable. Lately I've been using a Wright and McGill fanny pack that is more vertical than horizontal. My jury is still out on it. If it doesn't pass, I suspect I'll go back to using a vest. There's a lot to be said for a vest's weight distribution.

Quick question: Have you tried fishing with a chest pack yet? I thought they were the end all-be all of fishing equipment, until I actually bought one and started using it. It did nothing but get in the way! I returned it and went back to my traditional vest. Something that wouldn't be bad is a fanny type pack that you can swing around your waste when you're fishing to get it out of the way.

TT.

I have a Filson waist pack that I have used for years and is awesome, just got to grab a few of you boxes and what ever you want to put into the different compartments, tipit, extra leader, indicators, leatherman, ect.. I got my girlfriend a Simms pack, the 80$ one that can be worn as a chest pack or waist pack. She really loves all the storage in it and beer holders on the side. Fishpond makes other great products. That thingy in the picture look uncomfortable and not ergonomically correct. Do some investigating first and try a few on. Those can be WAY too much even for day trips. Unless your a guide!

I switched to a chest pack and small backpack w/hyration system last year and I am switching back to my vest this year. It seemed like when ever I needed somthing it was always tucked away in my pack. Then I would have to take everything off dig in my pack to find what I needed then put it all back together. It just got to be a hassel after awhile. The advantage was I could carry a ton of stuff... backpacking stove, coffee pot, freeze dried meals, extra fly boxes, kitchen sink ect ect. It is kind of like money, the more I make the more I spend. The more room I have the more I carry. Anyway just some food for thought.

I have yet to find one that I'm happy with...but those at Allen Fly Co. look somewhat promising.

personally, I like having the space in back for my raincoat, lunch, a beer or two, and my DSLR plus the hydration bladder. I currently use a very small vest and throw the backpack over the top of it, it isn't ideal but better than anything else I've used. As far as actual flyfishing gear, I don't take much at all so it's not really for that.
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

+ Reply to Thread