+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canada Trout Fishing, Suggestions Please

Default Canada Trout Fishing, Suggestions Please

I'm trying to put together a trout fishing trip to Canada for a few days this year. I fished the Grand River at Fergus 2 years ago and it's only a 5-hour drive from my home in Central, PA. I'm looking for a similar trip this year. Personally, I'd love to fish for native brookies. Here in PA a lunker brookie is about 10 inches. The Grand fished badly on my last visit because of high water. I'm not asking for your secret spots just a place where they don't mind the Yanks catchng a releasing a few fish.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Deje vu! I think you must have asked this on another site because I replied to this a couple of weeks ago. http://flyfishingforums.hipwader.com...ic.php?id=5423

The info is going to be the same here. Not far from where you fished for browns on the the Grand, you have the Credit River. There are brookies there...little ones. There's also the Humber (more little ones) and possibly the Ganaraska...not sure about brookies there...but they would be small also. There has only been one report of a coaster coming out of Lake Ontario...and that was accidentally killed last year when they were transporting it. Most coasters come from Lake Nipigon and Lake Superior and some of the other lakes in that area. Coasters are classified as an endangered species in Ontario, so there are special regs involved.

If you're looking for something within a five hour drive, you won't find it. Southern Ontario waters have been degraded by over fishing, agriculture, the disappearance of natural forest cover and urbanization. Add to that a severe lack of river access...even for little brookies, because most river frontage is privately owned. You actually have better brook trout fishing right were you are. If you're looking forthose famous big brookies...be prepared to go far and pay lots. Places like Tamiskaming, Nipigon area hold big brookies. Coaster strains, but your best access (by car) is going to be on "reserves" like Le Reserve Beauchene. There is also Kwagama Lake, 2 hrs north of Sault St. Marie, Ontario (float plane or train to get there) It's a remote outpost close to the Agawa Canyon rail line.

These brook trout live in lakes and migrate to the breeding streams in the fall...AFTER the season is closed. So a float tube as a minimum is required to get to them. Boats are the norm. Further north...along Lake Superior you'll also find brookies...and again many or most will be in the smaller lakes along there. If you want a brookie of a life time, it's going to require lots of homework, extended travel and most likely a guide. Like I said...you pay to play this game.

There are other places in Canada that are famous for big brookies. (sea run) Labrador is probably the best known but most of the east coast provinces have them, including Quebec. Again... none of these places are easy to get to or cheap...and you will almost always have to have a guide to get to them.

I've caught some 13-15 inchers on the Au Sable and Manistee systems in Michigan. Nothing like those monsters I posted on the hipwader thread. Those were at Le Reserve Beauchene. In my opinion, that is the closest and best option for you...and the prices there are very reasonable, especially for the outstanding fishing available there.

If you want more info about Beauchene or Kwagama...let me know.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 02-22-2010 at 09:53 PM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Blog Entries

If you're open to any trout not just brookies, the best fishing river in the world is the Dean River in BC. Lefty Kreh in an article named it is one of his two favorite fishing destinations.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Hipwader: I may have posted on another forum, but I doubt it because I haven't been able to log on to it for over a month for some reason. Any kind of trout fishing will be fine. It's just that I've always read of the great brook trout population in Canada. I'm looking for a cheaper trip that's within a short drive of my home. I'd be glad to just fish the Grand River again if that's the best option. How did it fish last year?
    Thanks for your help,
    Bruce

GnuBee Flyer: When it comes down to it I'm happy to fish for any kind of trout.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

If brookies are your goal....I'd stay in the States and fish the U.P. of Michigan. Most are small, but you can find some good ones if you work at it.

Hi,

If you're willing to fly, rather than drive, and it's big brookies you want, try Newfoundland or Labrador. I fished River of Ponds (up north west arm of Nfld) many years ago (32 I think), and the biggest brookies I've ever caught came from there. I've only heard about Labrador fishing, but it's also supposed to be pretty amazing. There are some good runs of sea run brook trout in Nova Scotia, but otherwise most of the brook trout are pretty small there. Some rivers do hold good sized fish though. Cape Breton is bound to have some gems, but you will have to find some local knowledge; be prepared to buy a few rounds at the pub to loosen up some lips! I would think New Brunswick would also be good, but I think mostly of the salmon there.

Chris, who posts here, gives a great account of the sea run brookies in Quebec, so that's another option. Quebec is a wonderful place, and if you are going to make a vacation out of it, make sure you seen either Quebec city or Montreal. They are beautiful cities with a great people and wonderful food.

Northern Ontarion has more lakes than you could shake a stick at, and the fishing up there is pretty good. Not sure about brookies, but I'm sure there would be artic char.

Anyway, I'm not really helping am I?

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

How did the Grand fish last season? Well I live an 1.5 hours from the Grand (trout section) and chose to drive 4.5 hours away several times this past year and spend nearly 60 days fishing for trout around Grayling, Michigan if that gives you any clue.

You can't tell from one year to the next, what's going to happen on the Grand. The past three years have been pretty bad. (terrible) Though a friend ( a guide ) caught the largest brown of his life on the Grand last summer...and I fish with him from time to time. He's very VERY good at catching those big Grand River browns. I'm hoping they can turn things around, but the weather is a huge factor on all of this. I used to camp at Elora Gorge and fish the Grand 60 days a year. The last three years I've only spent five days total on it. I'd say send me a PM as the season ramps up, but I may be gone most of the season...fishing other places. Ask "flityr@home" (Brian) on Hipwader about the Grand river conditions as the season gets going. He's that guide I mentioned above...and he's the best on that river.

Also... if that river isn't fishing well, the Credit is just a half hour east and that has all three species of trout. You'll need to hit a fly shop and buy some flies or something to get some info on where to go. Access is not the easiest on that river, and being within a half hours drive for 6 million people...it's hard getting anyone to tell you were to go on there. Some places on the Credit are best to avoid especially in the fall when the salmon are running. I went once in September. I will never do that again.
    If you want a Canadian experience...Quebec has some great fishing opportunities, but again...you'll have to figure out how much driving you want to do.

If you don't want to drive far, you're better off in PA, in places like Penn's Creek, Spruce Creek, etc...or head over to NY state. I'd still pick Grayling, Michigan. It's cheap and there's so much trout water with in a one hour radius, you couldn't cover it in ten life times.

See that photo on the front page of FAOL... Keystone Landing...I know that piece of water so well now I wade it at 2 AM on a moonless night! lol Creepy!!!! BUT what a rush when those big browns come out to play!

Like I said...If it's those brookies you read about in the mag's, you just won't find them within a days drive....and you want to go in May or the later half of September.

I'm working at a trade show (Fly Fishing club booth). Got some more info on Kwagama today. (giant brookies) I think I'm planning a September trip!
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 02-27-2010 at 06:05 AM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread