I have to disagree on the ecological impact of snakleheads, at leat in the Southeast. They are present in Rome, Ga., and I fish for them all the time. The bass and panfish populations in the river have not gone extinct, or seem to be adversly effected in any way. And the snakeheads are delicious, and put up a great fight.

As in most instances, nature is a lot tougher than what people give it credit for. Just like with European Brown Rats, carp, cotton-tail rabbits, and brown trout in the 1800s, nutria in the 1960s, 'Killer' African Honey Bees in the 1970s, hydrilla, and other introduced species, there is a short adjustment period, then everything balances out. Sea Lampreys did not wipe out Lake Trout in the Great lakes. Carp have not caused any species to become extinct. And Rainbow Trout are not native to most of the places in the East that became famous fisheries. And Smallmouth bass did not become extinct as a result...

The only time species become extinct from introduced species is when they are already threatened to start with.

Actually, domestic animals, farming, and livestock production do tons more damage to the environment than any introduced species ever has.

I loom upon introduced species as new opportunities to be enjoyed. I wish we had Asian Carp hwere. Maybe we will soon. I have heard they are delicious.

Semper Fi!