+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new way of tying for me... but I like it.

Default A new way of tying for me... but I like it.

Hi all. I recently started using a large magnifying glass for tying. I got it at Lowes, it's mounted on an articulated arm and has a light and reflector. It took a couple of flies before I got used to it, but I'm finding that I'm able to tie a better fly this way. I really don't need it as I have 20/20 vision but I like seeing the detail. I was curious if anyone else is tying this way?
    Hare

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati .... "When all else fails...Play dead"

Blog Entries

the only time I use magnification is if I am doing an extremely small fly for me to see...I hate the magnifyers because they make me feel dizzy when I tie with it

I've had glasses for distance since I was 25, but luckily, have never needed help for up-close work. I considered laser surgery to correct the distance issue, but my optometrist said I'd probably need reading glasses since my near vision would suffer, so I chose to keep things the way they are.

Regards,
    Scott

From my work experience I would like to remind folks that a "Binocular Magnifier" is much to be preferred for the sake of your personal eye comfort.
    These devices, especially those made of real optical glass. allow you to view items up close while not having to look cross-eyed.
    Doctors and dentists use these as do technicians doing fine electronics work. I have no vested interest, but a popular high quality brand is by Donegan Optical
    and called the Optivisor that comes in your choice of magnification using interchangeable lens plates.

I wear "readers." Can't see without them. 3.00

Ray,

Thanks for the Optivisor suggestion. I had been thinking about either a lighted magnifying glass like Hare is using or some auxiliary glasses. My vision is 20/15 corrected but I don't feel like I can see as well as I could 20 years ago and I would like a little boost. I think I'll be getting an Optivisor.

Greybeard

Ah... The eye crossing thing. I forgot to mention that I only have vision in one eye. Lost my right eye when I was six to a tomato stake, so the stereo vision isn't a problem. My situation may be unique with one eye. Also ruins 3-D movies as well LOL.
    Hare

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati .... "When all else fails...Play dead"

I've used magnification for about 12 years now. When my eyes started getting tired and I couldn't focus well I looked into alternatives and now use a rimless magnifier on an adjustable neck for all of my tying and rod-building - absolutely no more eye fatigue. I did demonstration tying at my local flyshop for 3 1/2 hours straight and my eyes were never the problem. My butt, on the other hand, was extremely 'fatigued'.. I couldn't do what I do in the hobbies of fly tying and rod building were it not for good magnification.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Blog Entries

I do use magnification at times, not always, but sometimes.

Kelly,

I have the same butt fatigue problem and it is because it is magnified!
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Smile

I use 2.5 readers all the time. When I'm tying regular flies for bass or sandbass I don't need magnification. However, when I get to the #8 threads and size 16 ir smaller flies I use a pair of clip on 3.0 magnifiers to my readers. This brings me up close to the fly and I can really see what's going on. My small flies were bulky and sloppy and no fish ever looked at them... now they are neat and buggy and the fish tear them up... Magnification does help!

+ Reply to Thread