+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red leader/tippet for pocket water?

Default Red leader/tippet for pocket water?

I read an article in Fly Fisherman this month. In a pocket water fishing article the discuss red leader/tippet to assist in detecting strikes. Does anyone have experience with that/those technique(s)? Pros vs. cons...? What do you actually use?

Thanks,

Dana

I use red Amnesia tied with a nail knot to the end of my fly line. I attatch my mono leader to the Amnesia with a loop to loop connection. You can also get the Amnesia in Chartreuse. It does have its place, at times, especially in pocket water.

Dana, if this is the article titled Pocketwater, then the reference was to using red or chartreuse as the 'butt' section of your leader - not tippet. I use this all the time with my leaders in that I nail-knot a red Amnesia section to my fly line (about 12-inches), tie a perfection loop in the end, and then attach my leader which also has a loop in the butt end. I fish this setup for all of my nymphing along with a strike indicator. I can see the red mono underwater and can often detect strikes before the indicator moves. Good luck. It works for me.

kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Thanks for the heads up. Ive found a distributor. Can you use it effectively without a strike indicator? I prefer to fish without them.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Ive found a distributor. Can you use it effectively without a strike indicator? I prefer to fish without them.

Dana
    Most definately you can. As long as you can see the butt section, it is the indicator. Look up the Czech nymph style or High-Stick nymphing. Both of these methods(O.K. they are basically the same, I just don't want a debate) suggest a hi-vis butt section to detect strikes instead of an indicator. Hope that helps.
    Lou

I coat my leader knots with fluorescent chartreuse frabric paint
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Neat idea Dudley, the whole idea is just to make the leader/tippet visible. At one time Cortland marketed a fly line with a wavey sort of pattern on it - it make any movement visible. Anyone remember those?

i don't remember the wavey lines but do remember one floating line called the nymph tip that had fluor. red or fluor. green tip about a foot long. worked well.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

I use a Fire Orange 6/0 Uni thread furled leader. It makes a great strike indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer View Post
    Dana, if this is the article titled Pocketwater, then the reference was to using red or chartreuse as the 'butt' section of your leader - not tippet. I use this all the time with my leaders in that I nail-knot a red Amnesia section to my fly line (about 12-inches), tie a perfection loop in the end, and then attach my leader which also has a loop in the butt end. I fish this setup for all of my nymphing along with a strike indicator. I can see the red mono underwater and can often detect strikes before the indicator moves. Good luck. It works for me.

kelly.
    Great idea! I will try that.

+ Reply to Thread