+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning your watercraft

Default Cleaning your watercraft

This might sound like a dumb question to some but it is my first pontoon, other than hosing it down and washing it is there anything else you guys do? I was thinking about spaying some of the metal parts with WD40 and the pontoons with armor all.
    I have a bunch of questions about this matter, sure how y'all don't mind.
    Thanks
    I believe I can fly fish

If the pontoons are dirty or stained, Simple Green will clean them up nicely. I use the emerald colored concentrated style in the spray bottle. Walmart and most auto parts stores carry this. Instead of Armor All, try a better product called 303. It also comes in a spray bottle. Just follow the directions. It will treat the pontoons and provide some good UV resistance. It lasts longer on watercraft than similar products. It is available at West Marine and BPS. Check online as well. I have used both on my kayak for years with excellence results. They were recommended by Wilderness Systems. Good luck.

Coach

I read once never to use Armor-All and such, that there was some sort of chemical in that stuff that would break down stitched seams and over time, the heat welds on welded seams on tubes.
    303 Protectant is what was recommended to me by 2 different manufacturers. I've used it for a number of years with excellent results. It will make your tubes slick as glass and blocks UV rays. Kinda pricey but works.
    Mark 1:17

Scrubbin' Bubbles to clean it, 303 to protect it. When I sailed the lady who owned the marina I kept the boat at suggested Scrubbin' Bubbles to clean the scum off of the water line. It worked like magic so I continued to find uses for it.
    I love that Scrubbin' Bubbles stuff. It works real well on fly rods too as it lifts the grime out of all of the nooks and crannies around the guides.
    They tell me it cleans bathrooms too but that I haven't tried! arrowthruhead.gif

Really cool, thanks gents. Thanks a lot. I will get me some Scrubbin' Bubbles and some 303 or steal some from the wife MUHAHAHAHA.
    I believe I can fly fish

The only place I'd think to use WD40 would be on the inside of the tubes. Pull the foot rest tubes out and give a little spray of WD40 inside of each tube. If it's a steel frame, this should help to inhibit some rust build up. If it's an aluminum frame, don't worry about it.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

303 UV Protectant is the way to Go!

- Keeps the dirt from collecting on the pontoons
    - Provides UV sun protection for the pontoons
    - Makes the pontoons Slick or more slippery for going through the water with greater ease.
    Max

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

We're supposed to clean those??????

Oooops!

I'm just asking 'cause I found a couple of 409 cleaner bottles at home, what about that one?
    I believe I can fly fish

Another vote for 303. We've been using the 303 Aerospace protectant for years now. All our tubes and kickboats. Spray it on and let it set for a few minutes and lightly buff it with a soft cloth. It's cheaper by the gallon and it will last a long time.

+ Reply to Thread