+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble tying on flies

Default Trouble tying on flies

Hi all,
    The brother of a friend of mine has lost sensation in his finger tips. This makes it difficult for him to tie on flies and my friend wants to keep his bro fly fishing. We talked about snelling flies, putting loops on the fly and having a loop on the leader. Any other thoughts or suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. Default

Hi, Just a thought but aren't there tools you can buy that will tie a clinch knot and a few other types of knots? That would totally bypass the needing to feel ones fingertips. Try this link to cabelas http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=17423

I really hope that link worked

Hope that helps

Blog Entries

I like my tiefast tool, if he can thread the fly one of these might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgdQb958d28
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

You can get the C&F Design threaders that you load the fly on then slip the tippet through them. That might work.

We have a young man, whose father is a member here, that wanted to be able to fish with his Dad. Tying on the flies was, at that time, beyond his capabilities. We devised this:, and this:
    Or you might simply want to pre-line the tippet to the fly, and make a loop in the end of the tippet, and a loop in the end of the leader, you can do a "hand shake" connection on the fishing stream. No tools needed.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

One problem with loss of sensation when holding the fly, especially when the fly is small. Tying the knot is mainly visual.

Have your friend get an E-Z Hackle Pliers to hold the fly by the bend of the hook. It then is easier to rotate the fly for a clinch knot. The hackle plier can be clipped to the string on of a zinnger so it can be removed when it is needed. You can put the open end ring of the hackle plier around the tip of a finger to make it easier to hold and spin.

It's worth a try.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Normand Guest

i use my hemostats to hold the bend of the hook. tread the tippet thru the eye and twist the hemostat to tie the clinch knot. doing that for years and i dont lose any flies!

I got one of these for my buddy Buzz. Appears to work well.

I did look with our sponsors, but couldn't find one that carried this item. Here's the link: http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.ph...iew&target=254

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I have a similar problem and found that the fly holder Kelly mantioned plus a pointed tweezers and a pair of 2.50+ reading glasses made tying the fly on the tippet much easier.
    JW

This is all great information..

Once this thread reaches it's fill of good stuff , maybe it could be blogged or as I like to call it put in the journal archives...

Thanks for bringing this up Mike, I hope it's helps your friend...

Take care!

Steve

+ Reply to Thread