I'll second Cold's response and note that the article liked the Peak vise best for under $150 but reading the article is only a start, I think its a good idea to use a vise and see if you like the "feel" - a combination of the quality of the design and the construction. I had been using an inexpensive rotary vise that I expect was a Chinese import that cost about $50. Recently, I just picked up a Peak vise from another FOAL member and it is sweet to use. The inexpensive rotary served a purpose but I was never satisfied with it. It didn't always hold the hook well and the rotary feature wasn't as convenient as the Peak.

There is no single vise that is perfect for everyone and I'm sure to some extent you'll get what you pay for but in terms of value - the quality of the item compared to the price, the Peak vise strikes me as a good value. It isn't the only good vise out there and I'd encourage you to try a few, if possible, before you buy something. The feel and design of tools is a personal thing - everyone can see and feel quality but there are design elements you may prefer and it's hard to make a good choice without using the tool. In short, the Peak is a well made tool but it may or may not suit you.

Graybeard