Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Farwell to all and good bye

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Farwell to all and good bye

With much regret, I am leaving FAOL. I didn't want it to come to this, but it has.
    Recently, FAOL instituted a policy that prevents me from putting a link to my website or even an innocent link to my non-commercial blog as part of my signature. I disagree with the new policy, but it's their forum and they have to do what they feel is best.
    I have been a contributor here at FAOL. I get paid up to $1000 for magazine articles and FAOL had no problem publishing my stories and photos for free. I gladly donated the stories and photos because I like FAOL and especially all of the great people here. I also have helped many people who messaged me via the private message here on the forum.
    Some people have even called my at home and I've gladly given them advice or the information they needed.
    I have a small kayak fishing business and don't make a whole lot of money. But since it's a business, the only way I can promote it is by paying FAOL.
    The people who run this forum have never done me wrong and they really haven't this time since they instituted the new policy. I understand, but don't have to agree with it. I just find it amazing, funny, unbelievable, hilarious, stupid and BS that they can take my work and the work of others for free, but won't let me post a simple little link to my website or non-commercial blog. It's not a two-way street.

Good bye to all. It has been nice. It has been fun. I'll miss this place, but there are other forums.
    Steve

Sorry to see you go, Steve.
    Where is the info on this new policy? I haven't seen what decisions were made...?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    Sorry to see you go, Steve.
    Where is the info on this new policy? I haven't seen what decisions were made...?
    I agree, sorry that you feel that way and I also have not seen any thing
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Blog Entries

Steve,

I am sorry to see that you have to do this. I enjoy your posts and I will miss them. I trust something can be worked out that will allow you to come back to FAOL and continue being a contributing member of this great group.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Not sure I understand. Even in this thread I see FishinDave has a link to his blog in his signature.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Very sorry to see you leave, Steve. I have enjoyed your posts and will miss your contributions here.

Blog Entries

And I have the PHWC link there, so this is a mystery!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
    Not sure I understand. Even in this thread I see FishinDave has a link to his blog in his signature.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Steve,

I'm one of those you helped behind the scenes with a kind response to PM I sent about a fishing kayak. I for one will miss your knowledge and your contributions to the board but I understand your issues.

Greybeard

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGibson View Post
    ...they can take my work and the work of others for free, but won't let me post a simple little link to my website or non-commercial blog. It's not a two-way street.
    Their site, their rules. There is nothing in their usage policy about forum contributors getting a chance to promote their own business. Every now and then, people mistake FAOL for a public forum, but it is clearly not. Sponsors get to advertise, others do not. This has always been the case and you are not the first to encounter this rule. If you don't like it, start your own forum. I am not saying I agree with the underlying nature of FAOL, nor this policy, but as long as it remains interesting and the cost minimal, then I have no trouble abidding by the rules.

Default Commercial Posting

This is not a new thing.
    Sponsors pay the bills.
    Any attempt to obtain free advertising (except a link is given when writing an article for FAOL) one time.
    Adding an URL to your sig block or posting a blog that has one linking your personal site for your profit is considered an attempt to gain free advertising. It clearly states, several places on the BB Please no Commercial advertising.
    How can any business owner, no matter how large or small an income it provides per year even think this is unfair.
    Hate to see you go Steve.

Denny
    Admin

Closed Thread